Trip Report Bonaire March 2024–Dead reefs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From what I understand there will be about 90 of us.

This will be my first trip to Bonaire and first time my daughter and I will be diving together. Definitely going to need all the help and insight from you regulars about where to go for best conditions, best fishies, and easiest access for shallow dives and snorkeling.
Best bet are South sites, reefs like several have already mentioned (@drrich2). Invisible, Pink Beach, Tori's, and Salt Pier (my son favorite) are some of the easy entry/exit sites and fun dive for young divers. Vista Blue, Soft yellow, Hidden Beach are little more challenging due to either entry/exit or currents, but worth the trip.

Flying out this evening to catch the United Flight tomorrow to Bonaire. Hoping to dive Bonaire before the summer bleaching event peaks. :confused:

Flying out this evening to catch the United Flight tomorrow. Hoping to dive Bonaire before the summer bleaching event peaks. :confused:
what is your verdict on the reefs, from 1 to 10 (10 been excellent). ?

Was just there a few weeks ago. Animal life was still fantastic. Some of the coral really took a big hit from SCTLD, but I still was very pleased with the diving. Do I miss the beautiful giant brain corals? Yup, but the sites are still fun to dive and the turtles and rays certainly don't hurt! The new diver and other divers there for the 1st time were still blown away. If you are boat diving and can get to northern sites like Rappel they are great. Especially the wall on the shore. South my favorite is Vista Blue. Still very lush and the sandy entry is easy as long as the waves are not too high. We did hit a lot of current on the wall. Pink Beach is also an easy entry site. East Coast Divers do not take walk ins. The 2 tank morning dives fill up way in advance, but you may be able to snag a single tank afternoon dive. Just make sure they take you to Turtle City! Even better, start at White Hole and drift over to Turtle City!!! This was like our 20th annual visit and we are booked for next May so I guess we kinda like it there :cool:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom