Grand Cayman airport update

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know that the airport has made things a little better for folks that are in-transit, at least you don't have to exit and re-enter the airport now, but I wish that they had made it easier for individuals that are not staying on GC as their final destination.

Regarding meet and greet, I would suggest that any through-travelers who might need an expedited connection process email the meet and greet folks and ask if there is a way to also get through security quickly, in addition to their expedited immigration and customs service. They do offer an expedited departure service from GC (to locations outside the Caymans) that includes getting you through security faster. So if you purchase the incoming meet and greet service, I would not be surprised if they might also expedite your outer island connection as part of the service. They have been extremely helpful to us over the years, and it is certainly worth asking about.

email is customerservice@caymanairports.com

Another thing to keep in mind with connections from LC/CB is the arrival 1 hour prior to departure rule for flights to the US. It nearly caught us. I had thought the time would be from check in at LC but apparently, according to Delta, the clock starts with them.

So when planning departures from the sister islands to GC, include the 1 hour deadline for check in at GC. On paper we had 90 minutes but arrived at the Delta counter with only 8 minutes to spare. Too close for my comfort level next trip.

When possible we try to fly back to GCM early from LC or CB so we can check in, check our bags, and then catch the free shuttle to the George Town Yacht Club. It's only a few minutes from GCM and we can enjoy a good meal in lovely setting - and squeeze a little more fun out of our trip before it ends. You can eat either indoors or outside and they will stash your carry-on luggage while you eat.

Just tell the shuttle driver what time you need to get back to the airport and she will be waiting for you. We don't cut it too close because we will have to go through Security when we get back to the airport.

The GTYC opens early for breakfast on Sat and Sun and they open at 11 am for lunch on weekdays: https://www.gtyachtclub.com/

George Town Yacht Club

We have often seen airport personnel pulling off folks on both the security line and Immigration line and rushing them through whether the flight is domestic or international. They cannot do anything to rush the luggage. They will certainly help you where they can! Just two weeks ago they were grabbing folks off an American flight that got in super late from Miami. They don’t want to fly with an plane with just a few seats occupied, but also have to be mindful of the few passengers who are on the plane and waiting to get to the destination. They have greeters in tropical shirts now as you go into the Immigration area. I am sure these folks can get someone to help you if there is a problem and it is fixable. Downside is that if it is too late you are out of luck.

Anyone know if its ok to take dive knife to GC? Anyone been hasseled taking in checked luggage?

I dont want to get dramatized

Last time we were in Caymans coming back from LC we ran past the immigration line headed towards our check in airline as we were advised to do. A customs agent called to us "Where are you coming from?". We said "Little Cayman" and kept going although we slowed down. They simply waved us ahead. What's to stop anyone from doing that and then just going over to where they need to reclaim their bags from the flight they just came off of and skip a half hour wait on line? Answer appears to be "nothing".

Last time we were in Caymans coming back from LC we ran past the immigration line headed towards our check in airline as we were advised to do. A customs agent called to us "Where are you coming from?". We said "Little Cayman" and kept going although we slowed down. They simply waved us ahead. What's to stop anyone from doing that and then just going over to where they need to reclaim their bags from the flight they just came off of and skip a half hour wait on line? Answer appears to be "nothing".
I had the same thought briefly when we returned several weeks ago. Then remembered that little slip of paper you get when complete immigration. When you want to leave the island, you will need that paper.

I had the same thought briefly when we returned several weeks ago. Then remembered that little slip of paper you get when complete immigration. When you want to leave the island, you will need that paper.

Yes good point! And we had enough trouble getting out of Grand Cayman as it was. Our flight from LC was so delayed that we missed our flight out of GC and had to catch a much later one.

This is exactly why we always leave LC or Brac a day early and spend it on 7 mile beach.

Anyone know if its ok to take dive knife to GC? Anyone been hasseled taking in checked luggage?

I dont want to get dramatized
I’ve had a small titanium knife on the waist band of my BCD in my checked bag going to Grand Cayman once or twice a year since 2014 and never had an issue.

I've been through customs many times and have never been asked if I have a dive knife in my luggage ( which I do ). They have occasionally asked if I have a spear gun ( which I don't ). Dive knives are certainly allowed in Cayman and are sold in all the dive shops. You are not allowed to bring in a spear gun, sling or bang stick.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom