Grand Cayman Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm going to Grand Cayman in February and also will be staying on Seven Mile Beach. I decided to book my dives with Living the Dream. I'm doing 2 tanks per day for 5 days. The reason I chose LTD is because of all of the many great reviews I read about them, and because of the full service that they offer. They will pick you up and drop you off at your hotel each day, have great boats, and they have either morning, afternoon, or night dives. The staff that I have dealt with so far have been very helpful and friendly.

As far as diving goes, it looks like Red Sail Sports is right there at the Marriott. Anyone have experience with them? I wanted to pick a dive op thats close so getting to and from is quick so im not wasting a lot of time. My wife also wants to do the stingray city snorkel trip one day to and i think she was looking at Red Sail Sports for that to.

I have dived with DiveTech many times. I dive often with Red Sail. I did my AOW with Living the Dream and do afternoon dives with them when my mornings are booked. All three are fantastic operations, and you will have great dives with any of them.

If you or the family are snorkelers, even though the Marriott beach is disappearing, they have a nice man-made "reef" (big cement pots) just off their beach that attracts a good amount of fish, so you won't have to go far for good snorkeling. We often walk down there to snorkel. Another good snorkeling spot if you have a car is Smith's Bacadere (Smith's Cove). It is just past town. There is parking across the street and showers and picnic tables. The cove is somewhat sheltered so it tends to be relatively calm. We'll go there when the wind is picking up on SMB.

Regarding restaurants, it's pretty hard (though possible) to get a bad meal on Grand Cayman. Too many good places to list, but just do a search here as there is a TON of info on things to see and do and places to eat.

As far as diving goes, it looks like Red Sail Sports is right there at the Marriott. Anyone have experience with them?
About 6 months ago, I spent about a week on GC. Half of which was on the east end diving with Red Sail there, the other half at 7MB, diving with living the dream.

Red Sail was entirely adequate. They got the job done, they were safe, they were efficient. Living the dream was amazing. They did everything they needed to and more. The crew was far more friendly, like they were out diving with us having fun, not just providing a service. There was camaraderie, there were stories shared, the boat was far more intimate, the divers in general were better, etc.

Red sail was fine, but with the competition on the island, and for the same price, if/when I go back, I'll be looking for more than adequate.

I would also recommend Divetech, but like others such as @caydiver , would tell you (based on the many SB reports), you probably can't go wrong with any ops in the area.

Sorry, but I have to react to the TA report. OMG!!!! "First, I spent almost $10,000 for a week at the beach including airfare, meals and over $5,000 for the hotel stay. One of the primary reasons for this vacation was to sit on the beach"

$15,000 for a week!!!!!!! There's more I'd like to type about this (I'm fighting the urge) but to save on space - OMG!!!!

My first trip ever to GC (actually to anywhere outside the mainland U.S.) was in 1998 - spring break week trip and we were doing our checkout dives after taking the OW course at home, specifically because we were going to GC after all! Stayed at the Westin - it was great in '98 - and Divetech had a boat at the time that picked us up right on the beach. As I recall it was much less than the TA traveller paid for 1 week and much less than the 2 week trips we take to GC now. Oops, sorry I digressed. Will be in GC on the East End at the end of April - can't wait!

The prices for the locations on central 7MB during winter and spring can be crazy, but I am reading the TA Reviewer's statement to mean that she spent $10,000 total for a week with hotel, airfare, and meals included. That's still quite pricey but she choose to stay in a high-end hotel, in a prime location, eat restaurant meals, and all during the peak travel season and that was her rightful decision to make. However, the TA OP wasn't diving and she was in central 7MB for a beach vacation so she probably didn't have car rental expenses, and we don't know if that price was for one or two people; she said "I paid" so she may have been traveling solo.

I will never claim that Cayman is a cheap dive/vacation destination but as @jonhall and others already know, you can have some wonderful dive vacations there for a lot less money than that. Whenever someone talks about how expensive Cayman is - they are often referring to prime locations on 7MB during the peak season and eating out often in expensisve restaurants - and that's their choice and it's fine - but it shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone that it is expensive.

We like to spend 2 weeks in Cayman during the quiet season, visiting 2 islands, renting a car and diving and relaxing. @jonhall since you are going at the end of April, after Easter and Spring Break, the prices should be better than early April and less crowded - as I am sure you are already aware.

If travelers are okay with staying at more distant and modest locations, renting a car and driving on the left, and are willing to prepare some simple meals and go out to eat for the main meal each day, then there are a lot of great choices on Grand Cayman for a wonderful dive vacation in a wide range of prices. And also on the Sister Islands of Little Cayman and Brac where there are some very nice options, including all-inclusive dive resorts, and great diving.

We stayed on 7MB during our early trips to GC but we weren't crazy about it - and not just because of the price. We liked the diving but 7MB and the west side were more developed and had more traffic than we prefer for a relaxing vacation. It wasn't until we discovered the Sister Islands and some of the more remote locations on Grand Cayman (yet still on the water) that it truly became our favorite Caribbean destination.

We are usually able to find easy and reasonably priced airfare to Cayman and the rental car prices aren't bad. We also appreciate the good roads and the fact that we feel safe traveling around the Cayman islands; and we can eat the food and drink the water without worry. We also like that there are good healthcare facilities readily available; and that the dive ops practice a high standard of safety, have well-trained staff, and they use modern, well-maintained boats and equipment. So sometimes you really do get what you pay for!

Just be aware that it doesn't have to totally bust your budget to enjoy a great dive vacation in Cayman.

Wow, you guys are great with all the recommendations! We appreciate it! We like to plan ahead and research restaurants activities ect before hand and book ahead especially if its a nice restaurant and hard to get in. As far as diving goes im going to look into Living the Dream and Red sail for now. What im really interested in on this trip for my diving is the convenience to getting there. Something close so that im back at a reasonable time since my wife will be on her own those mornings... Oh how is it there in MAY? Crowded, or so so?

Wow, you guys are great with all the recommendations! We appreciate it! We like to plan ahead and research restaurants activities ect before hand and book ahead especially if its a nice restaurant and hard to get in. As far as diving goes im going to look into Living the Dream and Red sail for now. What im really interested in on this trip for my diving is the convenience to getting there. Something close so that im back at a reasonable time since my wife will be on her own those mornings... Oh how is it there in MAY? Crowded, or so so?

May is much quieter than the peak season starting with the Christmas Holidays and going through Spring Break and Easter, but again, things will get busy when there are multiple and/or large cruise ships in port - so be mindful of that and plan excursions around the peak tourism days and times. That Breakfast with the Rays excursion with Red Sail is early morning before things get crazy busy.

$1,500/$15,000/$150,000 Makes no difference. Someone can always spend more and or less. The important thing is to be smart with your planning and hopefully feel you got your money’s worth from anything you purchase. Everyone has a budget some are just bigger than others. I wouldn’t judge any of them for spending their money how much or little. Hopefully they do it wisely. Since the terrible hurricane season of two years ago when so many destinations were taken out our slow season had not been very slow. Good for us sure it will change when other destinations start offering big incentives to get corporate groups back but when US schools are still in, that is a huge business here. The increase in the number of Destination Mgmt companies is ready testament to this big sector.

Thanks for all the advise...keep em coming...lol Its kinda funny, my wife did read about the beach at Marriott before anyone here said anything. Its already booked so I think we are going to take a chance. I at least got her an ocean front room so maybe that will make up for lack of beach,,, She is looking at restaurants to go to now. Do you think we will need to make reservations ahead of time at that time of year? Any recommendations on nice restaurants for dinner ?

As far as diving goes, it looks like Red Sail Sports is right there at the Marriott. Anyone have experience with them? I wanted to pick a dive op thats close so getting to and from is quick so im not wasting a lot of time. My wife also wants to do the stingray city snorkel trip one day to and i think she was looking at Red Sail Sports for that to.
I stayed at the Comfort Suites on my way to and from Brac in November. It is right next to the Marriott and there was literally no beach there at all. I was quite shocked as my sister-in-law had stayed at the Marriott in July 2018 and there was a beach then. It was very narrow vs the beach at the condos we stay at farther north - but still was a beach.

Pics from alleyway by Comfort suites:

Looking North towards Marriott
i-BbVFXzd-L.jpg

i-BbVFXzd

Looking South
i-D9KpVJv-L.jpg

i-D9KpVJv

And we are getting beaten up right now by the winds. Conditions out East have been worse overall as is normal in winter, but we have had crazy wind patterns since mid December. Not settled yet. Who knows maybe the Marriott will get their beach back.

While you don't want a shop at the other end of the island, don't get too hung up on using a shop "close to where you are staying." It's not so meaningful on Cayman, at least not in the way you might expect. Even if an op has a physical office or store, that's not where you will be going every day if at all - you're going to the boat. There are only a limited number of docks it might be at (unless it's picking you up at what's left of the beach), and for many ops that can change based on conditions and where they're going. It's going to depend on traffic, and where all they are picking up from that day, and maybe where you are on their route, but especially where the boat is.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom