Grand Bahama Island/Freeport via Cruise - Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

darylm74

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
It appears that RCCL isn't going to set up a dive excursion for our Freeport stop. The stop is from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. Any good operations in the Freeport area that I can catch a dive on. The big thing is my wife doesn't dive so they'd have to hook me up with a buddy. I am going to be on the Voyager of th Seas at the end of May. It leaves out on the 21st. Any help would be appreciated.

Unexso is Freeport is world famous and (one of) the pioneer of shark dives.
Check their website.

darylm74:
It appears that RCCL isn't going to set up a dive excursion for our Freeport stop. The stop is from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. Any good operations in the Freeport area that I can catch a dive on. The big thing is my wife doesn't dive so they'd have to hook me up with a buddy. I am going to be on the Voyager of th Seas at the end of May. It leaves out on the 21st. Any help would be appreciated.
Darylm,
They might not offer a dive there because of the time in port might not be enough. Unexso will also require you to do a check off prior to a dive and it will probably be a 2 tank dive and you will either be to late for the am or late back for the pm. Royal caribbean will not wait for you and you miss the boat. I would suggest enjoying the day with your wife and surprise her with a spa treatment with the money you would spend on the dive.

Have fun and dive the next stop,
chuckrt
RCCL Crowne and Anchor Member

We already set up other excursions that she needed me to be there for, limiting me to one dive on this trip for the current situation. The whole idea was that I would get to dive but she would have other things to do than sit on a beach. I contacted RCCL and they said they may still consider a dive in the Grand Bahamas, but not sure. There is also the issue with Labadee and what happens there. If they switch it to Coco Kaye or stay another day in Jamaica, I can find plenty of diving to do.

On a second thought, would it be better to do some shore diving?

darylm74:
We already set up other excursions that she needed me to be there for, limiting me to one dive on this trip for the current situation. The whole idea was that I would get to dive but she would have other things to do than sit on a beach. I contacted RCCL and they said they may still consider a dive in the Grand Bahamas, but not sure. There is also the issue with Labadee and what happens there. If they switch it to Coco Kaye or stay another day in Jamaica, I can find plenty of diving to do.

On a second thought, would it be better to do some shore diving?
I don't no of any shore dives in grand bahamas and Jamaica diving isn't exactly top shelf. Coco Kaye is a shore dive with a Sea Doo as a chase/rescue craft. I don't no about Labadee haven't been there. I can't find a cruise in my RCCL agent guide that goes to Freeporrt and Jamaica. What ship and port are you taking?

chuckrt

I am on the Voyager on May 21st. We hit Freeport (now named Grand Bahama Island) and Ocho Rios Jamaica. There is a dive trip at Ocho Rios, so if we get to stay a second day there (due to the unrest in Haiti/Labadee), then I can dive via their excursions. They also have a dive excursion on Coco Kaye.

The places I'd be interested in shore diving is at Grand Bahama Island / Freeport or Labadee (if the Haitians calm down). Neither of these have diving excursions.

I see it is the 9 day and love those days at sea. I don't think if you go to labadee they will let you dive unless they have a shore excursion run by their divemasters, hope for coco cay. Are you doing the dives in Grand Caymans? The itinerary showed a stop there as well. Ocho rios has the best dolphin encounter/swimm I've seen and been on I highly recommend it, do the whole thing and not stand in the water and have a swim by. I didn't see any area where you might be able to shore dive there.
Good Luck have fun and Margharittaville is great in Ocho.

chuckrt

darylm74:

Grand Bahama Scuba has 2 tank dives leaving the dock about 9:30 am and returning around 1pm (keep in mind that things happen on "Island Time"). You may be able to make arrangements with them. Buddying you up with someone is not a problem either.

check out Grand Bahama Scuba or PM SpritelyMermaid on these boards.
Have a great trip!!

I got on www.bahamas.com and found Grand Bahamas Scuba last week and dropped them an e-mail as well as e-mails to the other places that were listed. Grand Bahamas Scuba seemed to be the nicest and most willing to do what I wanted to do. Hard to tell personalities through an e-mail, but information is what I was looking for and they are the ones that had it. I have discussed this with my wife and it is all going to depend on what happens with Labadee and whether or not they switch it to Coco Caye or another day in Jamaica. I finally found a local group to dive with and will be getting my advanced this summer, so perhaps 1 dive will be enough.......just hate to not get more in...........only time will tell......Thanks for all of your replies :slick:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom