Never dove the Bahamas, coming in on a, ugh, cruise ship...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

swimbody

Caribbean Connoisseur
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
As it says, wife and I are using our Holland America cruise to hit up Grand Turk (2 wall dives scheduled), Dom Rep (north Sosua Beach wreck dive plus one shallow), and finally Freeport Bahamas where we arrive at 10am (I know this time sucks right?). We leave the next day around 5:30pm from FLL. Any advice for us in Freeport? After the pandemic I'm wondering who is still around and is it worth the trouble to dive the area.

Thanks,
swim

Reactions: CCS
Check out Sunn Odyssey Divers. They're a solid dive operation and have always worked with our cruise schedule when we come into port. Grand Bahama has soon good diving. I'm sure they'll set you up for a good time.

As it says, wife and I are using our Holland America cruise to hit up Grand Turk (2 wall dives scheduled), Dom Rep (north Sosua Beach wreck dive plus one shallow), and finally Freeport Bahamas where we arrive at 10am (I know this time sucks right?). We leave the next day around 5:30pm from FLL. Any advice for us in Freeport? After the pandemic I'm wondering who is still around and is it worth the trouble to dive the area.
Don't know if you have gone yet - couple of items:

1. Which dive op are you using in Grand Turk? At present my Holland cruise in March 2023 doesn't list any scuba excursions, but I have info for 2 ops I can contact. Both would require a taxi ride to town.

2. Sosua beach is in a protected cove. I did 12 dives there and don't recall a wreck. There is a mini-wall and the Airport wall, if the op will take you out that far. Will be interested on your take on Sosua.

3. In Freeport, there are basically 2 ops in business (at least that I could find.) Others have closed or were closed when I was last there. Sunn Odyssey, as @CCS mentioned, and Grand Bahama Scuba grandbahamascuba | Greetings from Freeport, Grand Bahama have physical locations that are actually within a few minutes of each other. GBS is located at the Ocean Reef Yacht Club and Resort, which is a small resort.

I wanted to dive with Sunn Odyssey the last time I was in GB although I stayed at ORYC. Dives were getting blown out but Sunn Odyssey was starting to communicate with WhatsApp - thought they might let me know via the app if they were going out or not, but that didn't happen - on the first divable day, they didn't let anyone know through the app. I wasn't very happy. Sunn Odyssey's WhatsApp number is +1(242)727-2624 but the last message sent out was back in March.

I wound up doing my diving with Grand Bahama Scuba, who I dove with in the past - was just hoping to change it up. They generally have a good group of divers. They take you to a site, tie off, and divers can either follow a guide or dive the site on their own. They are active on Facebook Grand Bahama Scuba

The timing of a 10:00 AM arrival doesn't work in your favor but GBS may be able to accommodate you in some way. Most important thing is to make contact and double check as your date of arrival gets nearer.

Sunn Odyssey's WhatsApp number
I think I awakened something in my phone. It's been dinging with some activity from Sunn Odyssey in their WhatsApp group - so it is active.

*The messages only show that a few people joined the group today and that SO will let a diver know if tomorrows dive is cancelled due to weather. Bummer!

Guess there had to be a chance of a bad diving day - an acquaintance of mine is currently diving with Grand Bahama Scuba and has been sending daily pics of calm water and what she's been seeing down below.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom