Graduate in Marine Biology

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NatureDiver:
Thanks for all of the replies. You've been helpful so far. Another question has come to mind while reading the responses. What are the main differences between marine biology and biological oceanography? I ask that mainly because I have been seriously thinking about applying to the MIT/Woods Hole joint doctorate program in biological oceanography. Thanks for the responses again!

The key difference between biological oceanography and marine biology, is that the former trains you how to be an oceanographer with an emphasis in biology, while the latter "simply" builds upon a preexisting life sciences background and *may* train you on oceanography. This is generalizing somewhat and not well apparent to lay-folk, but clear as night and day to oceanographers and marine biologists.

A biological oceanography degree should, sensu strictu, be wrapped around a general oceanography core. That is, coursework in physical, chemical, biological, and (if they have it), geological oceanography. Whereas a marine biology degree can take any color of the rainbow. It is also important to realize that for every "marine biology" graduate degree offered in the U.S., there are at least three other life sciences graduate programs that will train you as a "marine biologist", but the official title of the degree is something else (i.e. Wildlife, Ecology, Zoology, Botany, Microbiology, etc.). Which is why hunting for graduate programs in marine biology is often far more complicated than it would be for say, a degree in oceanography or natural resource management. After all, almost every 4-year college has a biology department.

Often a marine biology graduate program is nothing more than a general biology graduate program that so happens to be based near a coastline and offers a few faculty courses on some facet of the marine environment. There's an enormous amount of variation between different universities.

A nice thing about most oceanography graduate degrees is that any ol' person with a BS or BA can apply. Whereas in marine biology, it's generally assumed that incoming graduate students have a base bachelor's degree in the life sciences. Taking the GRE subject test (Biology) is often a prerequisite, and if not a prereq, then still recommended. However, some degrees in marine biology are highly specialized (ie marine mammals), and previous life sciences background is not so important.

A marine science program, sensu strictu, is much closer to general oceanography than it is to marine biology. Like oceanography (and biological oceanography), your training and coursework are more broad-based. You're supposed to get a lot more math too. The math requirement is very minimal in most biology programs, usually whatever the state requires.

Many smaller universities often blur the distinctions between oceanography, marine biology, marine science, and marine resource management. There's only so much faculty to go around. Usually oceanography programs are only maintained at larger (TAMU) or specialty (Wood's Hole) schools, as it's more expensive to maintain (ships, technicians, hi-end equipment).

Regarding Duke, I'll second and third that it's a fine school with fine faculty and research labs. Excepting their marine resource management program, some of whose recent graduates have filled me with dismay.:shakehead

daniel f aleman:
I listed from East coast to West coast - and I agree, all but exactly, with your ranking, except that I would drop U. of California at Santa Cruz to fifth behind Miami.
What can I say, I grew up surfing at Steamers'.

daniel f aleman:
Also, it's amazing how many Rhode Island and U. of South Florida PhD. degreed professors there are working at major universities...
Yes it's really remarkable, says something about how those schools teach their students to play the game.

Thalassamania:
:popcorn:
Pull up a chair we're about to have a hwo can eliminate nitrogenous waste at a greater range contest between the marine biologists and the biological oceanographers, a real treat ... it should make PADI vs. whomever look like a Haight-Ashbury love-in. (Yes there is a difference between the two, although many programs have a fair amount of overlap). As an oceanographer I know who'll win.

Sorry, I can't play your little game...I'm a fisheries oceanographer. Ocean science is multidisiplinary. BO tends to focus on larger scale, more offshore processes while MB is more coastal, but there's lots of overlap. Sometimes the differences between the two is a matter of semantics. Apply the scientific method correctly and appropriately to any discipline and it is "hard" science.

Forget about school rankings, it's not the BCS. Go with a professor that has a sound record in the published literature, has an active lab with research grants, and has funding for you. Remember, you're competing with, sometimes, hundreds of other students to gain acceptance to a program...having an academic sponsor gives you quite a edge.

BTW, anyone else dive today?
Dave

loquat149:
...that off the cuff, biological oceanography is "harder" science.

It's *supposed* to be much harder! :) It's a geosciences rather than a life sciences degree, after all. Most marine bio grad programs do not require the geography, geology, GIS, computer programming, chemistry, blah blah that are part and parcel of biological oceanography programs. The marine bio folks make up the difference with strong life sciences components/training to their degree offerings.

archman:
It's *supposed* to be much harder! :) It's a geosciences rather than a life sciences degree, after all. Most marine bio grad programs do not require the geography, geology, GIS, computer programming, chemistry, blah blah that are part and parcel of biological oceanography programs. The marine bio folks make up the difference with strong life sciences components/training to their degree offerings.

You were referring to academic programs and not the fields of BO and MB? Anyway, I think you're trying to generalize here a bit too much. My masters and doctoral programs, taken at two different universities, had similar sets of "core courses", although one was called "Biological Oceanography" and the other "Marine Biology & Fisheries". Semantics...

Sorry...I'm still off-gassing
Dave

daniel f aleman:
Be assured, I regard U. of Santa Cruz second to no place, I spent a summer there - I'm just going on data concerning national reputaion for hiring that I've seen...
Up until two years ago, I would have agreed with you Dan! But then I met a UCSC PhD grad in marine mammals that shocked me with her lack of base knowledge of the marine environment outside of California and Australia. And general biology, for that matter. What a downer that turned out to be, my bubble was shattered!

Meanwhile, grads from Long Beach State continue to impress and stupefy me. There must be some wicked faculty down there.

I did direct one of my high school interns to UCSC last year, who enrolled as a freshman in their diving-based kelp ecology class. That kid is going places...

Forget about school rankings... tell that to Harvard Law School. :)

Of course your professor/mentor makes a difference; it's the same in all post graduate situations...

loquat149:
You were referring to academic programs and not the fields of BO and MB?
Well Dave, Naturediver is asking about degree programs.:14: What one decides to call him/herself after graduating isn't precisely monitored by the academic discipline police. Although if your "Marine Biology and Fisheries" program taught chemical and physical oceanography core classes, that would be outside their traditional scope.

Normally a marine biology department might have faculty to teach a biological oceanography (or even an Intro. to Oceanography) course, but not the hard sciences phys/chem/geol components. Unless the department is a Marine/Ocean Sciences one rather than a marine bio one, that is.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom