Graduate in Marine Biology

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hmmm, do you think you have the necessary qualifications to go straight into a PhD? If so, go right ahead, but I'd personally feel that any doctorate program which doesn't require you to have at least another research degree and a few good publications behind you is pretty suspect.

Also, their research project page is a little blank... any idea what sort of projects they'd be offering you?

Arete:
Hmmm, do you think you have the necessary qualifications to go straight into a PhD? If so, go right ahead, but I'd personally feel that any doctorate program which doesn't require you to have at least another research degree and a few good publications behind you is pretty suspect.

Also, their research project page is a little blank... any idea what sort of projects they'd be offering you?

I do not feel I have any qualifications. I still have to finish my BS with major on Biology. I am just trying to figure out of I would want to go here for the Masters or PHD or find somewhere else. I know alot of Medical PHD's that have come from University of South Alabama but never known a person within the Marine Sciences to come out. I know the DISL is a very popular one and students from other universities come here for classes. We have Mobile Bay, Gulf of Mexico, and many rivers in the area that they use to study and research. The only research I am aware of is they are studying Mobile Bay. They say it has the worst diverse ecology of any bay. They are trying to repair that.

Arete:
I'd personally feel that any doctorate program which doesn't require you to have at least another research degree and a few good publications behind you is pretty suspect.

Many graduate programs here in the States accept students into their PhD programs with only a BS degree. The trend, at some schools, has been to steer students away from an MS towards the PhD. The MS used to be considered a prerequisite for a PhD program, but the latter is now thought, by some, to be more "cost effective" and the former a waste of time. I'd be more suspect of a graduate program that only offers an MS degree...

Dave

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom