Graduate in Marine Biology

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm working on an environmental management degree at University of Hawaii and I'd say that the marine bio masters is pretty good here. We have Coconut Island (Hawaii Institute of Marine Biology) nearby which is an excellent facility and depending on your intrests you can work with some big names. There's also lots of marine science work for grad students and your research can be done really close by (like 15-30 mins down the road!)
The downside to UHM: getting around! There's NO parking (I once drove around for 45 mins to 1 hour looking for parking in a suburban area near the school), but if you live on campus that shouldn't be much of a problem. Rents are also insanely high, and the tuition is on the rise here (a 100% increase over the next 5 years I think)

:popcorn:
archman:
You'll have to explain that.
Pull up a chair we're about to have a hwo can eliminate nitrogenous waste at a greater range contest between the marine biologists and the biological oceanographers, a real treat ... it should make PADI vs. whomever look like a Haight-Ashbury love-in. (Yes there is a difference between the two, although many programs have a fair amount of overlap). As an oceanographer I know who'll win.

loquat149 and drbill made the valuable points. You should consider both sides.

However, it is depending on your plan. If you don't plan to pursue your journey up to Ph.D. level, the overall school reputation and name are also very important factors for your job market. The ranking on your major is funny indicator sometimes and there are many controversy on their order. Based on my major, I got two master degrees in US #1 ranked school (US News & World Report), but there is no guaranttee that it works in the same way in the real job market.

So, if I choose the school among the list by "daniel f aleman" for the master level, I definately choose "Duke" without any question.

Just my 2 psi....

Thanks for all of the replies. You've been helpful so far. Another question has come to mind while reading the responses. What are the main differences between marine biology and biological oceanography? I ask that mainly because I have been seriously thinking about applying to the MIT/Woods Hole joint doctorate program in biological oceanography. Thanks for the responses again!

Well, Duke is the top university choice overall, probably. But, a PhD. from Rhode Island, MIT/Woods Hole, or Scripps, in any marine program, WILL get you a spot in a post academic marine program anywhere in the US for sure...

That's what makes a horse race. If I had to use that list my order would be:

Scripps Oceanographic
U. of California at Santa Cruz
U. Rhode Island
Woods Hole Oceanographic
U. of Miami
U. of Washington at Seattle
U. of California at Santa Barbara
U. North Carolina Wilmington
Boston U.
U. of Delaware
U. of Alaska Fairbanks
U. of Hawaii at Manoa.
U. of South Florida
Texas A&M at Galveston
Duke U.
Florida Tech
Nova Southeastern U
College of Charleston

I listed from East coast to West coast - and I agree, all but exactly, with your ranking, except that I would drop U. of California at Santa Cruz to fifth behind Miami.

Also, it's amazing how many Rhode Island and U. of South Florida PhD. degreed professors there are working at major universities...

Back
Top Bottom