Gradient Factors Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That article helped me tons to understand how the curve worked, and how the GF's affected the profile and deco.

Gradient Factors were great for massaging the Buhlmann "bend and mend" deco curves. VPM-B and RGBM curves tend to be a better deco guess in my opinion. And if you feel the need to have some sort of Buhlmann shape, there's always VPM-B/E (Ross's proprietary algorithm that combines bubble-based deep stops and Buhlmann based shallow stops). Some people think it is the best of both worlds.

When it comes down to it though, I use ratio deco for its repeatability, flexibility, and ease of use.

It's actually a very good question, Lamont, even if it did take me 24 hours to figure out what you were looking at.

I think it speaks to the artificiality of using GFs to manipulate the pure Buhlmann output. GFs are no more valid than Ratio deco -- They're just another method of doing curve fitting.

This has been a very educational post, thanks for starting it!

I read the article on Rebreather World explaining the GF factors and manipulation and Yes, now I have a basic understanding of using the GF to change the loading amounts of the compartments: However : It seems that this tweaking of the GF factors just contributes to "Numbers Narcosis" while playing with Decoplanner.

Sometimes I think a dedicated class for this subject would be quite beneficial:D

Henry

This has been a very educational post, thanks for starting it!

Sometimes I think a dedicated class for this subject would be quite beneficial:D

Henry

There (kind of) is. Andrew Georgitsis from 5thd-x will teach a Ratio Deco class that does cover gradient factors, and he would probably devote more time to them if asked nicely ...

Andrew Georgitsis from 5thd-x will teach a Ratio Deco class that does cover gradient factors, and he would probably devote more time to them if asked nicely ...

Yeah but you will get alot of talk about how GFs aren't necessarily based in reality. They are "ugly deco" (I think those are his 3yo words)...

Right, and that you have been bold-faced lied to right from the beginning :)

Lol yeah something like that. The "comparisons" I was shown between deco planner and his preferred alternative were surprisingly crude for someone so mathematically inclined as Andrew. But as he put it "why compare to a bogus model?", what works works. I think you and Maciek are actually living proof as your 2nd dive should have bent you alone, nevermind the flight 5 hrs later bending you like pretzels. At least according to m-values.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom