GPS handheld

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DomaNitrogen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have no clue about the devices never owned one. Currently we are planning to dive some new virgin places and we need to keep track of the sites.

So i am looking for something small and sort of water prof get knocked in the boat with water and so on. And something real cheap :)

I am googleing them up.. but anyone with some experience could point me what device and why that would be gr8

GPSr have come down in price and you should be able to get one to do what you are wanting to do pretty cheap. They all take points and can keep track of your position. I would ask the sales clerk to help you pick one out and they can explain how they work for you and you can make your own decision.

I am a GPS fanatic. I have been using them and teaching others how to use them since 1993. I own several different versions by several different manufactures, Lowrance, Magellan and Garmin. I use them in my truck on my motorcycle in my boat and on my diving kayak.

For use on the water, I have used the Garmin 76CS for two years. Not only does it have a color screen that makes it easy to read, it is waterproof and it floats. Which is great when I knock it off my kayak. The current version is the 76CSx which has expandable memory.

I've had very good luck with Garmin handheld line. Currently have a 72 and a mapping76, both are waterproof and have been proven to float.

Garmin are good units (they make aircraft units) I've had mine since 94

You could put whatever one you get, into those dry pouches sold for phones/gps's and still be able to operate it ... that way you could go for maybe a less expensive model

D_B:
Garmin are good units (they make aircraft units) I've had mine since 94

You could put whatever one you get, into those dry pouches sold for phones/gps's and still be able to operate it ... that way you could go for maybe a less expensive model

Unless you want to use a mounting bracket..........the waterproof bags interfere with mounting the unit............

Garmin all the way!!!

Thank u for ur posts every 1 that is an Eye opener

I will probably go with the Magellan

Thanks

Okay, the summary:

If you're only using it for pinpointing sites (marking them so you can drop on the same spot) but not for general navigation, *any* GPS receiver will be perfectly adequate. While having detailed maps (or marine charts, even) is quite nice, if you can get to the vicinity of the site, all you need is the most basic of GPS receivers.

You may read that GPS receivers with WAAS (Wide-Area Augmentation System) support will give you much tighter fixes. That is certainly true in the US, and down here near the Gulf of Mexico, WAAS performs *beautifully*. Over in Egypt, on the other hand, it is basically useless. WAAS is made up of fixed ground stations, which compute correction factors to be used by WAAS-enabled GPS receivers, and geostationary satellites which relay those corrections down to those WAAS-enabled GPS receivers. Even if you had a clear sky to a WAAS satellite, without a relatively close ground station, you wouldn't have any reliable correction factors. (Note: Europe's WAAS is called EGNOS.)

If you want a GPS receiver that can survive a splash or a quick accidental dunking, you want to look for one certified IPX7 (or IP_7, with a digit in the blank). That designation means that it is rated to survive submersion in one meter of water for 30 minutes, which should cover any accidental wettings. *However*, not all GPS receivers float. My Magellan Meridians float, but my basic yellow Garmin eTrex (among the most budget of handheld GPS receivers) sinks like a rock. If I'm going to use the eTrex on a boat, I'm going to keep it in a sealed dry bag for *flotation*. (Also, be aware that the ratings assume you're not pressing any buttons. If it's wet and you press a button, water is liable to get inside, and it's a pain to take your GPS receiver apart, rinse it with deinonized water, and wait several days for it to dry. A little dry bag will prevent that eventuality.)

Finally, you want a GPS receiver that has a computer interface. Most modern handhelds do, but a few, like the discontinued base model Garmin Geko 101, do not have the capability. You may have to buy the interface cable separately, and if you want nice mapping software, that's extra as well. Basic coordinate uploading/downloading software (such as EasyGPS) is available at no cost, and the convenience of transferring waypoints to and from a computer is not to be laughed at. (Additionally, there are sources of waypoint data online, and it is much less work to convert and upload them than to tap in each one individually.)

Anyway, that's my commentary. (I've been geocaching since May, 2001, so I have a bit of background with recreational use of handheld GPS receivers. :biggrin:)

Back
Top Bottom