GPS/Bottom machine combo (Shopping)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reeldive

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Best GPS /Fishfinder combo

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Getting ready to upgrade from my present set up (GPS76map and 240blue fishfinder) to one of the many combo units out there. The boat is a Triumph 190 bay so console room is limited

1. needs to fit my console
2. need PC interface to connect to my loptop to transfer way points (right now I've downloaded the 76map to my laptop via the Easy GPS program)
3. needs to have NEMA 0183

I've been looking at the Humminbird 757c and the Garmin 440s

The Garmin costomer suport told me that there is no way to directly inerface to a PC but I could transfer data via SD card. This would require the purchas of a card reader. Don't know about additional software but knowing Garmin---

Any one with any experience with either of these units? Any other suggestions?

Reeldive, I'm assuming you want to upgrade to a) save console space and b) get a bigger (and color) display. I don't have a 440s, but I do have several other Garmin units for both sea and sky, and they make a great product. A couple of thoughts:

1- Any Chartplotter that can't manage a NMEA output isn't worth bothering with - even the really cheap (non-plotting) Garmin units will feed your radio's DSC input (which is why I'm guessing you want the NMEA 0183).
2 - MicroSD card readers are comparatively cheap (cheaper than the cards themselves, I think), and the BlueChart CD comes with MapSource software that facilitates chart management quite effectively. I use MapSource to save waypoints and tracks to my laptop regularly, and it's a breeze. (Be thankful the marine units use a MicroSD card - the aviation units use a proprietary card and a special reader, and the cost for both is brutal!)
3 - If you don't want to hassle with the MicroSD card, you could always use one of the newer handheld Garmins (GPSmap76Cx or 76CSx, if you like having an extra compass in the boat), and just keep the fishfinder you already have. Of course, that wouldn't achieve what I'm guessing you're after, but it would avoid the card reader.
4 - Garmin's interface is very intuitive, and the units are remarkably rugged. I don't know your console, but it looks like the 440s will mount directly into the console, though putting it on a bracket may make it easier to manage the exchange of data.

The gadgethead in me is envious! Good luck with your shopping!:shades:

- John

Back
Top Bottom