Trip Report: Seaventures, Fajardo, Puerto Rico, September 2013

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jlevine

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just came back from a business trip to San Juan. My colleagues and I decided to stay over the weekend and go on the morning dive trip out of Fajardo with Seaventures (Scuba Diving Puerto Rico's Caribbean with Sea Ventures Dive Centers - Fajardo & Palmas del Mar in Humacao, Puerto Rico). I thought I’d provide this review in case any of you find yourselves in the area.

Here’s the short review.

We had a great time. Seaventures was fantastic. The visibility was ok, but not great. I would definitely dive with Seaventures again.

Now for the longer review.

I called the shop to place the reservations. The woman who answered was very helpful. She asked to me provide a credit card number in advance and said that we could cancel up to 6pm the day before. She told us where to go on the web site for directions and that the check in time was 7:45am with a 9am departure. She suggested we bring our own masks and snorkels but that they would provide them if needed. The total cost for the two-dive trip *including equipment* was $119 plus tax. I thought that was very reasonable for the area.

The directions on the web site were very thorough and include pictures as well as GPS coordinates. The web site said to allow one hour from San Juan. I thought that was a little odd because my previous trip from San Juan to Fajardo with another dive shop took an hour and a half. The new toll road extension (get the toll option on your rental car at the airport) cuts the time down a lot. We left San Juan at 6:15 and made it to the shop at 7:05. Only 50 minutes!

A few miscellaneous driving tips. I suggest you bring a good pair of sunglasses. The sun rises in the east and you will be staring straight into the sun in the morning. Driving without sunglasses would be a mistake. Also, do not speed in Puerto Rico.

The shop is located in a strip mall at the Puerto del Rey marina complex at the southern end of Fajardo. When we arrived at the shop, we were asked to sign the standard waivers. We also had to present our certification cards. We were then told to drive down the hill to the boat dock where we would receive our equipment. We went to the dive boat and then taken by one of the staff members to the equipment room and provided with whatever we needed. The BCD and fins were in good shape.

Prior to departure, we were given a safety briefing about the boat in accordance with US Coast Guard regulations. The boat was equipped with radio, oxygen unit, life jackets, and EPIR locator. The boat is 46 feet long and had plenty of room. There is a marine head as well. There were six divers and a few snorkelers. There were two divemasters and a divemaster trainee.

We then left for the first site which was a 25 minute ride away. Upon arrival we were given a site briefing. We were asked to put on our gear and walk to the back platform where they helped us with our fins. Entry was via a giant stride. We were told to wait at the safety line until everyone was in the water.

We then descended and began the trip. There was very little current. The visibility was 30-40 feet. The fish life was pretty good. We saw lobster, trumpet fish and many of the fish that you see in the Caribbean. At this site, the last part of the dive was at 15-20 feet so that served as our safety stop. The dive time was 45-50 minutes. The water temperature was 86F.

During the surface interval, the shop provided fruit, chips, salsa, water and soft drinks. We then proceeded to the next site and repeated the process. The second site offered better visibility (I’d estimate 80 feet). That dive lasted about 55 minutes.
On the way back to the shop we were given additional refreshments, which now included sandwiches! The shop took care of rinsing all of the rental gear.

Overall I was very pleased with Seaventures. The staff members were all great. The service was fantastic. I would definitely dive with Seaventures again.

Here are some pics!
pic1.jpgpic2.jpgpic3.jpgpic6.jpg

When I was there a few weeks prior (late Aug), there were lots of turtles!

Best viz is when it's overcast, as the sand in the water (from the winds) reflect a lot of direct sunlight, cutting viz down a lot.

I enjoyed diving off of the south (Parguerra) and over at Desecheo better than Fajardo, but good diving non the less.

I find the east side of the island very shallow (off Fajardo and Culebra), where the south and west have a great wall a few miles of shore. Plus the variety at Desecheo was like diving in a well stocked and cared for aquarium.

BRad

---------- Post added November 29th, 2013 at 12:02 PM ----------

Thanks for the report! What was their rule for ascending tour dive? Could you dive your air to 700 psi?

They usually turned at 1500psi, went shallower and toured around if you had air left. 45 min bottom times they shot for.

My buddy and I usually had 1200psi when we came up at the 50-55 min mark (we were usually first in last out).

The day we dived, there were quite a lot of OW, some almost OW, and a discover scuba with some snorkellers.

BRad

Come to think of it, I don't remember the ascent guidelines. It was one of those "we'll go in this direction and begin to make our way back when we get to X psi." I think I came up with 1100-1200. The dive was 50-60 minutes. I felt it was reasonable.

Seaventures is a great op. I had a student fly me down to.San Juan to do his checkout dives. Knowing that I was an instructor the DM watched us doing skills for about five minutes and then waved good bye. He took the group on their tour. We finished up skills on the 1st dive and then went in another direction. Second dive he pulled.me.aside and gave me a little more detailed briefing than he gave the group and told me that my student and I could do whatever we wanted. Then was nice enough to tell.the DM on the next day about us. When we got to the boat he told us to listen to the briefing and then feel free to.plan our own dives.
So yes I would absolutely use them again.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom