Got refused boat dives due to 12 month break

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I ran a Dive Center in the Caribbean, we catered to the ships. For some ships it was impossible for the clients to make the first dive of the morning due to late arrival. Also if the ship docked late they would loose their reservation. Booking through the ship guaranteed the dives and making it back to the ship for departure. Many times we would get a request for a diver that had not dived in over 12 months. They simply took the Discover Scuba tour which included, Flip chart, pool, and shallow dive. The cost was the same as the two tank as well. The best part was that they could now dive the two tank on any of the subsequent ports of call. Easy solution.

You are wanting to argue semantics with a strawman argument. There are people on this thread, people well educated and masters at diving who have sugested that you get a refresher course. You dive very little in comparison to others, and you could only benefit from taking a refresher before you take a dive holiday. They are not suggesting that you do this becuase they do not like you, or they have nothing better to do. They do this, becuase by your own admission, you have dove 30 dives in 15 years. NOT a monumental amount by any stretch of imagination, save for someone who has never dove at all.

At question is not whether a master diver who dives 1oo times a year has memory or skill fade, but whether YOU have skill fade. You seem to have this belief that you can strategize your way through the whole thing. If you wish to continue to dive, there are just some obstacles you will have to engage. Whether that is paying for additional classes, your own gear, or more dives. As it is, you say you rent gear, however , if you obtain your friends gear, you will then have the burden of taking care of that gear, cleaning it, having it serviced, at additional cost to you. This, like diving, is not an endevour you should take without concideration. Because if you will not put forth the time and money to maintain that gear, just as one would maintain a skill, then it is not a wise investment. Because it is your LIFE SUPPORT under water, just as your TRAINING is your LIFE SUPPORT. If either one falters, then you become a statistic. If you become a statistic, you may very well be THE statistic that makes it harder for those of us who do dive more than twice or thrice a year, to dive. That goes without saying that you owe it to your family and yourself to keep from becoming a statistic. Given the snippiness of your last post, I expect nothing less in following. But you do not seem to appreciate the depth of the obligation you have as a diver, nor of the importance of the advice given to you, by people who have spent the time to gather the knowledge to be able to advise you.

Yeah... this is getting off topic but I had checked out dive shops in Cabo and contacted them. Ended up none could accommodate the shore leave time of the cruise ship. The killer was when I told them, "the cruise ship arrives at xxxx and we have to return by xxxx". This was because most tours, running on local time, have already left by the time even the first tender boat would have arrived. In contrast, the tour associated with the cruise was specifically chartered for the ship's schedule.

Anyways, all points taken by all posts. I'm shopping around for refresher courses.

I'd like to point out that fade happens as quick as 1 month, probably less. 12 months is pretty arbitrary; someone who dove 11 mo, 29 days ago is still a master but someone 12 mo and 1 day is not? Of course not. Now while most of you regulars on the board are frequent divers enough to never have to worry about the 12 mo window, there are a lot of certified divers who don't get out as much. And just because someone logged a dive a month ago doesn't mean that they are suddenly refreshed to mastery level of emergency procedures. So it would seem that everyone would need a refresher course on emergency procedures no matter how many dives you've logged.

I agree with those saying 12 months is an awful long time, especially if you also dive infrequently. You may just have to bite the $ bullet and rent equipment for the odd dive, or buy your own and get out more often. Even with the fair bit of experience I have, I try to dive once weekly in good weather/ climates and at least every 2 weeks or once a month otherwise. Things can get rusty for sure, like being a musician and not practising/playing for a while. It's best to keep scuba skills sharp, or do that Scuba Review, etc. Having said that, I should note that I can't recall a dive op in Canada or US (or Panama) asking when my last dive was. Obviously, one could make up stories and log books but that would be reckless and serve no real purpose.

Tmheiner: I have been quizzed by dive ops in the keys for an upcoming trip. It was done in the nicest way possible, but they were primarily concerned with sites beyond the shallow reef variety. I've also witnessed my Lds doing the same with divers they are not familiar with.

OP: Living in an area that is all beach and no water, as a rule of thumb, we make sure to get in the pool if we go a couple of months between trips. Not only to work out the rust, but to check our gear. using rental gear, which is fine for the frequency you dive, will never allow you to become familiar with the gear.

I think the other posters have been more than kind in their responses about a topic that seems to pop up in the accidents forum on a regular basis. Don't simply take a refresher because you have to, take it because of what it could mean to your family. It should not be treated as a necessary evil.

I usually have the opposite experience from the OP. When I dive whilst travelling I am hooking up my nitrox tanks on day 3 wondering if anyone will ever ask me to prove that I am certified...

I hope this doesn't come across wrong bu in a way I'm kinda glad that they did that. 12 months is a long time and I wouldn't be your dive buddy especially not at a 100 feet.

Using this same logic I could refuse to dive with you as you don't have the number of dives I like to see, and may not have the experience I like. Then again I may end up paired with some dude with 9 dives all being training dives. I have dove with newbies on more than a few occasions. Some newbies are spastic, others very capable. How do we decide who is qualified?

Let the Dive Ops worry about it. You are not the scuba police nor am I. Honestly I think the Cruise ships policy is lame. They are hardly a yard stick for measuring dive skills. If the dive ops wants a private guide so be it. A cruise ship is not the scuba police.

I usually have the opposite experience from the OP. When I dive whilst travelling I am hooking up my nitrox tanks on day 3 wondering if anyone will ever ask me to prove that I am certified...

It must be that cocky, I mean confident barrister demeanor. :wink:

Not that I can't do practice dives, it's that I don't have any of my own equipment. This is a very occasional thing for me so I always go with guided tours and rented equipment from them.

Up until now, I've never had to worry about it. I usually review the OW manual and am good when I'm on the tour. However, if this is now becoming common ENFORCED policy, then I'm going to have to make preparations before going on my trips.

This 12 month thing is just a stupid rule they made up. Just give them a stupid made up answer and go diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom