Got quite a scare today...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

El Orans, whether it was deco or safety precaution, what did DAN say about you
going back into the water for a while?

H2Andy:
El Orans, whether it was deco or safety precaution, what did DAN say about you going back into the water for a while?
I mentioned it but it was not discussed further.

Laurens

dang, i would have been interested to find out

H2Andy:
dang, i would have been interested to find out
Me, too! Laurens, if you talk to them again, will you ask?

I wrote DAN an Email asking about this. I just joined and figured while I was there...No reply yet but it was just last night.

Joe

Sideband:
The first paragraph explains the mandatory stop. Thanks. I'm puzzled by the second one though. (I'm not wording this next bit as well as I would like) If they are very concervative wouldn't that mean that if it said a stop was mandatory that you could more than likely skip it and still be ok? I'm not saying anyone should ignore their computer, no matter what brand or model used. Pretty much a waste of money if you did that and just a generally bad idea. Get one you trust and use it. I'm just wondering why 'everyone' that ignored it took a hit if it is conservative. The two ideas seem to be in opposition to each other.

Joe

Excuse me, I should have said that they have a "reputation" for being conservative.

I've read about divers who were diving with 2 computers with one being a Suunto and when the Suunto gave a warning i.e. hey dude you're now in "deco" and the second computer not being a Suunto showing them not to be in deco they chose to believe the more "liberal" computer thus "ignoring" the Suunto's warning and ended up taking a hit.

I hope this has cleared up any misunderstandings for you and the "Great Weitz". So yes Mark, they are very accurate. See the "logic" now...:eyebrow:

H2Andy....I believe Dan will defer to the answer which pertains to "in-water decompression" which is....dont do it. I went round-and round with their "call taker" a few month ago. They wont recognize the scenario of omitted deco or missed stops. I dont know if this is because they are answering in the context of "no-decompression" dives (no such thing) or what. The fact is, you probably should not treat symptoms with in-water therapy, but if you miss a stop and can immediately go back and complete it, it could be beneficial. The off-gassing in bubble form is not instantaneous upon exiting the water, but rather the "shower of bubbles" really begins shortly after your exit. As far as the "conservative" vs. "liberal" computer algorithms, it is an oversimplification to say one is more or less conservative. They just use different algorithms. My suunto will put me in to "deco" much sooner than my oceanic on the first couple of dives in a series. It also seems to credit me more for surface intervals allowing my repetitive dives to be MORE lengthy then the oceanic. I haven't used dive computers for a couple of years, opting to plan my dives based on PC software and a cursory knowledge of decompression theory. Bottom timers dont lie :) take care...

divealaska:
I haven't used dive computers for a couple of years, opting to plan my dives based on PC software and a cursory knowledge of decompression theory. Bottom timers dont lie :) take care...

thanks for the info. this last part is something we've been talking about
here. there's a few other divers who won't use computers and instead rely
on their knowledge of deco theory and their own software.

i can say with certainty i ain't there yet

Back
Top Bottom