Got My New Mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CentralTxDiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just got my new mask today...a Japanese made AQA Kinugawa Gull Abyss vintage style oval mask (GM1086) with a black silicone skirt. Had to order it from Hong Kong as it was impossible to find a new vintage style oval mask from here in the states...yes I realize there probably isn't much demand for the classic oval mask design as for the new styles such as an Atomic frameless, etc. This mask is great...and will be a good addition to my growing vintage diving gear that I'll be diving with. If you can't find a decent vintage oval mask I highly recommend the AQA Kinugawa Gull Abyss.

Jim

I was in a bike store of all places and saw lots of those oval shaped, black skirted masks. I was very surprised. I did not check out the manufacturer, however.

I looked all around my local dive shops (even travelled to those in Austin) and even the online shops didn't have a single one. Glad to hear that somewhere they still exist.

Jim

I still have my old Circa 1970 USD Pacifica (I think that was the style name) oval mask. It's black "rubber" and amazingly it has still seals to my face. Rather than a purge "valve" it's got the little indentation for a thumb & forfinger pinch/clear. Heavy as all sin though (on land).

'Slogger

I've got an old 70's USD black rubber skirt Pacifica mask as well...yup its quite heavy. My new AQA Kingawa Gull Abyss is quite a bit lighter...I guess the silicone skirt weighs less...anyway its a full plain jane oval mask no frill's no fancy buckels...just simple the way they used to be made and I can't complain one bit. I can't wait to don the mask, weight belt, backpack, doublehose reg, and tank with j-valve just like the good ole days.

CentralTxDiver:
I can't wait to don the mask, weight belt, backpack, doublehose reg, and tank with j-valve just like the good ole days.
===================================

Right there with you. Have been seriously tempted to take that old Pacifica with me on the past few dive trips just for a walk down memory lane. Maybe on the Caymans trip next year.

'Slogger

Scuba Jerm,

What I liked about the AQA Kinugawa Gull Abyss was that it was a classic oval design yet its skirt wasn't rubber but actually silicone like nearly all current masks. I chose the black silicone skirt version as I hate how clear silicone mask skirts discolor over time. I have several vintage rubber masks but wanted something vintage looking yet made of modern materials for actual diving use. My new Abyss is much lighter than the older vintage rubber versions I've got in my collection. I wasn't looking for a cheap repro to sit on a display - as I can get that with little problem and I have numerous actual vintage rubber masks in my collection already. For a cheap yet decent rubber vintage style oval mask repro check out Marine Sports who makes the all rubber MK6 $19-$35. But the rubber MK6 is quite a bit heavier than the silicone AQA Kinugawa Gull Abyss. I could not be happier about diving the AQA Kinugawa Gull Abyss...it was what I was looking for.

Jim

Oval type mask are very comfortable, they also clear very easily. The natural curved shape allows you to carry a bit of water in the bottom and with a quick roll of your head swoosh the entire lens to clear fog. To clear the mask you just press gently against the top rim and exhale a little.They balance nicely on your forehead also. While vision down and to the sides can be more limited than some bug eye masks like my Mares X Vision the vision to the front is like looking out a picture window with no obstructions. There is a single pane square mask out now fromTUSA that has an excellent feel and view. Tried it in the pool and it clears great. Clear silicone only. I just have a hard time buying TUSA--gag--gag gear.

Can you provide an address or e-link to the place you bought the GUll maskin Hong Kong? Give a picture of that new mask! N

Back
Top Bottom