Got My New Mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My neighbor still likes to use old school gear. This past July he pulled out his origional US Divers Pacifica mask out of his classic red dive bag to find the rubber skirt was dry rotted. He said he wanted another one and I told him ''good luck'' finding it. The first shop he called had the mask in stock. He ran out and picked it up for $85.00, but the skirt is now silicone. Wearing that mask is like having a 57 Chevy hanging on your face to me, but he would not even consider trying another mask after hearing that price..

Yup, its hard to explain to someone not bitten by the vintage diving equipment bug. I'll get some pics and post em soon even if its not the most exciting "New" style out there.

Jim

CentralTxDiver:
Scuba Jerm,

What I liked about the AQA Kinugawa Gull Abyss was that it was a classic oval design yet its skirt wasn't rubber but actually silicone like nearly all current masks. I chose the black silicone skirt version as I hate how clear silicone mask skirts discolor over time. I have several vintage rubber masks but wanted something vintage looking yet made of modern materials for actual diving use. My new Abyss is much lighter than the older vintage rubber versions I've got in my collection. I wasn't looking for a cheap repro to sit on a display - as I can get that with little problem and I have numerous actual vintage rubber masks in my collection already. For a cheap yet decent rubber vintage style oval mask repro check out Marine Sports who makes the all rubber MK6 $19-$35. But the rubber MK6 is quite a bit heavier than the silicone AQA Kinugawa Gull Abyss. I could not be happier about diving the AQA Kinugawa Gull Abyss...it was what I was looking for.

Jim

Sounds good. I'll have to check those out. I think I've tried almost every mask we sell, as it is one area I like to experiment with. Thanks for the detailed response.

Back
Top Bottom