Got bent, preferred IWR to my local chamber

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Very true, when in doubt hit the O2.. biggest lesson learned.

Another habit I’m going to pick up is not switching gas in my computer. I used to dive more aggressive depth and duration profiles with my old Uwatec and it was a single gas Nitrix computer. My margins of safety were way bigger and I always had half my 12l stage full upon surfacing. I’m not telling my computer about my deco mix anymore, some things it’s better off not knowing.

Of course this is when diving with just two mixes, trimix is a whole other ball game.

I am curious if you meant to use the MRI to check if there was any damage from DCS or from something else? AFAIK, no x-ray, CT Scan or MRI can show anything related to DCS, isn't this true?

The DAN expert I spoke to told me to wait a week or two and get an MRI as it is the gold standard for identifying the bio-chemical damage left behind by micro bubbles. Apparently no other way to know if tendon muscle or bone was hit. Bone is what can progress to something more serious.

wait a week or two and get an MRI as it is the gold standard for identifying the bio-chemical damage left behind by micro bubbles.

So it was used to see if there was any residual damage not to diagnose/confirm if you actually had DCS or not?

Did the MRI show anything when you did it?

185842DA-988E-49B8-BCA9-B0995367D410.png
1CFEFB72-D135-42E4-BADE-4AB6F15EE046.png
Thank you for sharing. Sad to hear the chamber in your country is so... questionable.

I agree with all the posters recommending that in future suspected DCS hits you and everyone else should act fast without shame, get on O2, call DAN. Even if you're not a member DAN will advise you!! Acting fast matters. It sounds like your symptoms worsened to a pretty serious point quite a while after you suspected DCS. It could have become even worse than it did.

I don't really have much to say about your use of IWR. I'll leave that to others. Did you use a full face mask? It sounds like it was successful and may have been the most reasonable option considering your chamber situation. Sooner rather than later would have made it more effective. That's a scary high CNS % to reach.

As for incident analysis: It might be interesting to post the dive profile if you can. What GFs were you running? Do you suspect a PFO? Did you verify the mix in the tanks? Was there anything else unusual about the dive or events preceding the dive (exhaustion, dehydration, repeat dives etc.)? Or maybe there was no obvious explanation, unfortunately there are still so many unanswered questions in the physiology of diving.

Very true that DAN will advise you even if you’re not a member, I wasn’t when I called them as they aren’t available here. I am now a member of DAN Europe, even if just for the medical opinion.

Was sweating a lot it was a hot day and I generally forget to drink water. Rechecked my mixes with my own oximeter, and I was running 30/70 standard setting for OCTec on the Teric. Did a 40m dive 72hrs prior with no issues. No PFO or any type II symptoms. Just pain that climaxed 6hrs after the dive. I did get cold towards the end of the dive although the water was relatively warm, I guess the fact that I do intermittent fasting and I usually dive fasted had something to do with that. No other divers complained of the cold.

I attached my dive profile and the profile of the IWR protocol we chose to implement.. without a full face mask. (I know, will buy one dedicated for the emergency tank).

Reactions: OTF
So it was used to see if there was any residual damage not to diagnose/confirm if you actually had DCS or not?

Did the MRI show anything when you did it?

Hasn’t been a week yet. Will let you know.

I thought all such flights were at low altitude, not with "special" planes.

I doubt that they can fly at low altitude for the entire flight. They need to be able to change altitude to deal with varying weather and other conditions in the course of the flight.

Very true, when in doubt hit the O2.. biggest lesson learned.

Another habit I’m going to pick up is not switching gas in my computer. I used to dive more aggressive depth and duration profiles with my old Uwatec and it was a single gas Nitrix computer. My margins of safety were way bigger and I always had half my 12l stage full upon surfacing. I’m not telling my computer about my deco mix anymore, some things it’s better not knowing.

Are you saying that you would have a back gas and a deco gas (let's say Nx50) and that you wouldn't program the 50% in and would just let the computer think you were using your back gas during deco when you actually switch?

If so, for multiple reasons, I don't think that is a good idea. To me, it makes more sense to add additional deco time or lower your GFHi.

IMO, the idea for recreational divers to e.g., program 21% but use 32% is different than a tech diver doing what I think you are suggesting.

Obviously, just my opinion.

- brett

Are you saying that you would have a back gas and a deco gas (let's say Nx50) and that you wouldn't program the 50% in and would just let the computer think you were using your back gas during deco when you actually switch?

If so, for multiple reasons, I don't think that is a good idea. To me, it makes more sense to add additional deco time or lower your GFHi.

IMO, the idea for recreational divers to e.g., program 21% but use 32% is different than a tech diver doing what I think you are suggesting.

Obviously, just my opinion.

- brett

Don’t really see the harm in it. Used to dive that way cause I didn’t have a multi-gas computer anyway. In fact I remember 10 years ago very few divers had the multi-gas and also used to dive that way. I’ve been diving for a long time, first time I have any symptoms is when I used my new multi gas computer this season. I’m not saying it’s technically the best option, some might prefer just adding some deco time or a small 100% pony and do some flushing at 5-6m. But for me this method was fool-proof for a long time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom