Got a lathe?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TTOUPS

Registered
Reaction score
Got a lathe? A metal lathe can can be a pretty useful item for a diver. You can make all manner of fittings and "doohickies" (great techie term, eh?), cut threads, etc. Also -- if your lathe will swing a large enough diameter -- you can tumble old tanks with it. This isn't a substitute for a hydro or VIP, but if you've got a kinda' nasty old steel bottle or two that you're deciding whether or not to salvage, a session with tumbling media on the lathe will give you a pretty good idea whether to go any further with it.
I'm a packrat and hate to throw anything away that might still be good. My lathe has allowed me to save a couple of steel tanks that I thought were goners upon initial inspection. After tumbling out the flash rust and minor pits, they didn't look so bad after all.

Best regards
Doc

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom