Gosh, those wingnuts are pointy. Ow. Ow.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lairdb

Contributor
Reaction score
So far, I don't use an STA -- I run the cam straps through the cam strap slots in the plate and wing, and just use either a tie wrap through the screw holes, or a small hardware stack, just to keep the wing from shifting around when it's off the tank.

When I first tried a hardware stack in place of the tie wraps, I had some SS 1/4-20 hardware lying around, and used that. It's not the 3/8 for which all the holes all appear to be sized, but it worked well enough, though it's always bugged me a little aesthetically.

I picked up some 3/8 hardware the other day, and discovered that while the bend in the plate just barely cleared the 1/4-20 wingnuts, it doesn't quite clear the 3/8 wingnuts, and all aside from abrasion potential, I'm not happy with little pointy things aimed right at my spine, separated only by the puffiness of the neoprene or undergarment.

Have you all found low-profile wingnuts somewhere? Aside from "must have a nutdriver in your save kit", is there an argument against using a hex nut or an acorn?

(Some hardware trivia, while I'm thinking about it. Nominal heights, all in inches:
0.266 3/8-16 nylock nut, thin pattern
0.453 3/8-16 nylock nut
0.500 1/4-20 wingnut
0.625 3/8-16 one-piece acorn nut
0.720 3/8-16 wingnut ow. ow.
)

lairdb:
Have you all found low-profile wingnuts somewhere? Aside from "must have a nutdriver in your save kit", is there an argument against using a hex nut or an acorn?

Laird,

Deep Sea Supply uses button-heads (with a center hex). They do require a driver or key of some type, but they are really the cat's meow for not protruding or snagging.

Cheers!

www.deepseasupply.com

P.S.---Tobin George is extremely helpful. A good guy to know!

Rob

5/8?

Don't you mean 5/16? or 3/8?

In any case, your channel is twice as deep as a wing nut, and the bolts will protrude farther than the wing nuts anyway.

It's simply not a problem. Use a regular nut and a socket wrench if it bothers you that much though.

jonnythan:
5/8?

Don't you mean 5/16? or 3/8?

Argh, argh, argh -- you are correct. Brain fade. I mean 3/8; I'll revise the original post to be correct.

In any case, your channel is twice as deep as a wing nut, and the bolts will protrude farther than the wing nuts anyway.

Um, no. Even the 1/4 wingnuts protrude a little; the 3/8 wingnuts protrude quite a bit. My channel is about .45 deep. Also add about .09 for the washer stack (flatwasher, split lockwasher. The flatwasher could be omitted when using the 3/8 hardware, leaving about .05 for the flatwasher.) I'm mystified by your bolt comment, though -- the bolt length is a matter of specifying the right bolt length for the known and constant hardware stack. My bolts protrude less than half the height of the wings on the wingnut.

Though the 1/4 protrude a little on paper, it's not enough to worry me. Though the 3/8 are nominally less than a quarter-inch taller, they protrude a LOT.

Thanks for the comments; unless someone knows a good reason switching to conventional nuts is contraindicated, I'll probably do so.

What kind of plate are you using with a 1/2" deep channel? The only reason wingnuts are used is because they don't require a tool.

I replaced all of my wingnuts with the nuts that have nylon centers ("Ny-loks" - thanks coolhardware52) But I don't swap between singles and doubles, I only dive singles at the moment and I like the way this works for my sta much better. I did this because I got caught on the wing-nuts while donning my gear once.

Tim

On a dive a couple of weeks ago, I saw an Instructor diver with large plastic nuts with a stainless insert that replaces the wing nuts. The plastic knob is large enough to tighten by hand. I wanted to ask where he found them but forgot to do so. Anybody know or sen this type of BP attachment hardware?

I use an STA and the channel on my BP isn't that deep either, what I did to prevent jabbing or damage to my dry suit from the wing nuts was to extend my two-inch crotch strap webbing over the channel. :wink:

Keyth

I am using drawer pulls (like kitchen drawer handles except rounded). One of our techies showed them to me and got a set for everybody that dives with him. They are rounded, plastic and screw right on where the wing nuts would screw on. Best of all... they're cheap and easily available.

That's probably what BillB saw.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom