Trip Report Goseong: LF Munam Dive Resort

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba_divo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I dived a total of 6 dives at LF Munam Dive Resort with DongHae Scuba School (DHSS) this past weekend. DHSS was the dive centre I signed up with, but this post is mostly focussed on LF Munam Dive Resort (the location and on-site service provider and boat operator.) The boat operators and facility staff were professional and courteous from what I observed. Generally, I found everyone to be quite helpful.

Details:
Navi Address: 강원도 고성군 죽왕면 괘진길 65
Telephone: 010-9491-9303 (Korean only from what I could tell)

Services and Ocean Temps (July 3):
EF9A7C01-8D43-45D9-B317-E89D3521A264.jpeg

F751E21C-1D51-42E9-8920-6C1B0B4658ED.jpeg

Here’s an annotated overview of the dive sites:
B3C194F5-2497-4F58-99D9-7862D49C8882.jpeg

LF is a bit spread out:
AB40C235-E9EA-494F-B4E6-101F63653432.jpeg

E4898F3B-3B24-4646-B841-F61FAB1D9F3E.jpeg

Staging area:
DCE7895A-1739-49B3-8F6D-D03C907F818C.jpeg

I asked about the possibility of just showing up with a buddy, paying boat fees and diving. That might be possible for the beach dive (I didn’t dive that), but they indicated that they wouldn’t take people out without professional supervision due to the cold water, environmental conditions and the fact that the area is shared with fishermen, so they need to keep each other informed so as not to create needless hazards. On several of the dives the boat operator warned us that we could only proceed in a specific direction from the drop off point in order to remain safe. Whether this is a local employment scheme or not is beyond my knowledge.

We saw several fairly large octopuses, a free floating fully-intact jellyfish, frilled anemone are a distinguishing feature of the artificial reef, and the white/red soft coral varieties are a distinguishing feature of the region. There were some schools of tiny fish, but most of the small fish seemed to be solitary hunters. No pelagic fish sightings.

This was my first kelp forest, which was fun, but the ‘best’ dives were the artificial reefs and the large rock formations at lower depths and colder temps. One rock formation was dubbed Keumgang Mountain (because it was spread out like that mountain range) and the other was dubbed Maisan (because it sticks up like a horses ear, I think; there Is a land based Maisan so named because it has double peaks that look like horses ears, so I’m just extrapolating.) There was more to see at these sites.

DongHae Scuba School:
DHSS indicated that there are many similar tiny dive resorts within 10-30 min. drive. They conduct fun dives and (Korean language) training at various locations in the area based on weather conditions. They run a pension and a shuttle from Seoul (80,000W, which was cheaper than the tank of gas I used to drive myself) when they run dives. Their pension has shared or single accommodations (at a greater cost). The “something, something Scuba School” brand seems to be a national network of schools: Jamsil SS has a big pool in Jamsil for training, DHSS runs a pension and fun dives on the East Coast, Jeju Scuba School runs a pension and 5-star training site on the island, and I think they mentioned a couple more branches, too.) I’m going to dive with another branch of the school in Jeju in a couple weeks and possibly write more of a Scuba School brand-centred review later. They were happy to have me dive with them as long as I could show that I understood the Korean language briefings and took my diving seriously. I found them to be efficient and safety conscious. Will dive with them again.

There were two different boats, both came equipped with lifts:
E96F4B59-0611-4640-890E-78D4056BB0E7.jpeg

54F97445-9142-42CC-9FCF-1C496EFB5AF0.jpeg

Octopus chillin’ on the artificial reef:
B65BEE36-5E41-4050-929C-D4A7A5436B36.jpeg

White & red soft coral:
68B9C035-0527-4EA1-865E-AB80CB385B50.jpeg

Frilled Anemone:
A9D9473B-1404-40C4-A95C-DAC67502918B.jpeg

Artificial reef:
EF99C108-0566-4802-AB87-0E5C1CE94A0E.jpeg

Other:
73B2BC6D-8158-44C0-B86D-6C543318FE49.jpeg

310150CD-E9DD-4C25-92B8-0A7B8AC9F828.jpeg

20B05692-8E48-488C-86B0-F66204C51663.jpeg

Haven’t had a chance to process the video footage. Will post links if/when I can.

I dived a total of 6 dives at LF Munam Dive Resort with DongHae Scuba School (DHSS) this past weekend. DHSS was the dive centre I signed up with, but this post is mostly focussed on LF Munam Dive Resort (the location and on-site service provider and boat operator.) The boat operators and facility staff were professional and courteous from what I observed. Generally, I found everyone to be quite helpful.

Details:
Navi Address: 강원도 고성군 죽왕면 괘진길 65
Telephone: 010-9491-9303 (Korean only from what I could tell)

Services and Ocean Temps (July 3):
View attachment 731537
View attachment 731538

Here’s an annotated overview of the dive sites:
View attachment 731532

LF is a bit spread out:
View attachment 731533
View attachment 731534
Staging area:
View attachment 731535

I asked about the possibility of just showing up with a buddy, paying boat fees and diving. That might be possible for the beach dive (I didn’t dive that), but they indicated that they wouldn’t take people out without professional supervision due to the cold water, environmental conditions and the fact that the area is shared with fishermen, so they need to keep each other informed so as not to create needless hazards. On several of the dives the boat operator warned us that we could only proceed in a specific direction from the drop off point in order to remain safe. Whether this is a local employment scheme or not is beyond my knowledge.

We saw several fairly large octopuses, a free floating fully-intact jellyfish, frilled anemone are a distinguishing feature of the artificial reef, and the white/red soft coral varieties are a distinguishing feature of the region. There were some schools of tiny fish, but most of the small fish seemed to be solitary hunters. No pelagic fish sightings.

This was my first kelp forest, which was fun, but the ‘best’ dives were the artificial reefs and the large rock formations at lower depths and colder temps. One rock formation was dubbed Keumgang Mountain (because it was spread out like that mountain range) and the other was dubbed Maisan (because it sticks up like a horses ear, I think; there Is a land based Maisan so named because it has double peaks that look like horses ears, so I’m just extrapolating.) There was more to see at these sites.

DongHae Scuba School:
DHSS indicated that there are many similar tiny dive resorts within 10-30 min. drive. They conduct fun dives and (Korean language) training at various locations in the area based on weather conditions. They run a pension and a shuttle from Seoul (80,000W, which was cheaper than the tank of gas I used to drive myself) when they run dives. Their pension has shared or single accommodations (at a greater cost). The “something, something Scuba School” brand seems to be a national network of schools: Jamsil SS has a big pool in Jamsil for training, DHSS runs a pension and fun dives on the East Coast, Jeju Scuba School runs a pension and 5-star training site on the island, and I think they mentioned a couple more branches, too.) I’m going to dive with another branch of the school in Jeju in a couple weeks and possibly write more of a Scuba School brand-centred review later. They were happy to have me dive with them as long as I could show that I understood the Korean language briefings and took my diving seriously. I found them to be efficient and safety conscious. Will dive with them again.

There were two different boats, both came equipped with lifts:
View attachment 731555
View attachment 731556

Octopus chillin’ on the artificial reef:
View attachment 731539
White & red soft coral:
View attachment 731540
Frilled Anemone:
View attachment 731541
Artificial reef:
View attachment 731542
Other:
View attachment 731543

View attachment 731544
View attachment 731545

Haven’t had a chance to process the video footage. Will post links if/when I can.
Awesome stuff, and I'm glad we wont get any annoying childish emojis about the lack of pictures! This is great information and I hope we can fill this South Korean forum with more stuff like this and solidify the foreign community here!

Awesome stuff, and I'm glad we wont get any annoying childish emojis about the lack of pictures! This is great information and I hope we can fill this South Korean forum with more stuff like this and solidify the foreign community here!
Here, here! The more info we share the better!

Thanks for the report @scuba_divo

Definitely drysuit diving by the looks of these temperatures.

Thanks for the report @scuba_divo

Definitely drysuit diving by the looks of these temperatures.
Well, yeah, opinions vary on the subject. I have a HOLLIS Neotek semidry 8/7/6 and was fine. If it got colder, I had a thicker pair of gloves that might have made a few more degrees possible, but I’m part polar bear. In 30C degree weather the moment I left the water I was insta-hot.

Most of the OW and AOW were diving 7mm wetsuits. A couple people skipped the 3rd dive because they got cold. The guide instructors had built in heaters in their dry suits.

Here’s some footage of 3X octopuses and some frilled anemone from around Goseong, Munam. (Again, sorry in advance for the quality. Still sorting out underwater video, and getting my dive buddies NOT to ruin my shots with their high powered flashlights.) Also, ’m a big fan of not interacting with sealife, but clearly I was in the minority here. Basically, we were just three Sith Lords diving with our red beams on high! 🥺

LF is a very nice dive resort! Some very nice coffee shops in the area too. 😀

LF is a very nice dive resort! Some very nice coffee shops in the area too. 😀
Yeah, I drove around one evening. In general, the whole area seems to have been built up as a leisure sports and tourism destination. Apart from all the hotels and pensions, there were a lot of campgrounds and beach camping. Also some upscale restaurants and national chains. I also saw a local surf school out at one of the beaches.

I really appreciate all of you keeping the forum active! It may be a while until I can dive again, but I certainly hope to help our little dive community thrive. Until I can dive again, I hope to find resources that I can share on the forum. Maybe it would be good for us to keep lists of dive shops, and the services they provide, including whether they allow individual divers to join groups.

Yeah, I drove around one evening. In general, the whole area seems to have been built up as a leisure sports and tourism destination. Apart from all the hotels and pensions, there were a lot of campgrounds and beach camping. Also some upscale restaurants and national chains. I also saw a local surf school out at one of the beaches

베짱이다이브​

Here is the address for one of the first dive resorts I dived at in Korea: 강원도 고성군 토성면 천학정길12 Goseong, Gangwon-do, South Korea 24755

It is a few hundred meters up from LF dive resort.

They have a Youtube channel: https://youtube.com/channel/UCr6hvwUt_gnvkLpIPVLWtKA

Here is their Facebook page: Facebook'a Giriş Yap

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom