Gorgona in October?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kiwidives

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm thinking about traveling to South America in the last week of October/first week of November. On my last trip to Colombia, I met a Colombian diver who told me about Gorgona, who had seen whales there underwater (!!)

Has anyone recently been to Gorgona? I'm finding it a bit difficult to find up to date information on dive operators based on the island. Any advice on logistics would be much appreciated :)

Has anyone visited in October? If so what was the vis/water temperature like? Is late October too late to see whales?

This charter may provide some insight. They also visit Gorgona.

October is not a bad period, good temperature, not sure the whales will still be there, the season is usually july - october.

Bucea en Gorgona - P.N.N. Isla Gorgona - Centro de Buceo Gorgona
this is the site of the center on the island, was closed last time I went there (2023) because there was nobody to manage the center...

anyway, going to Gorgona is not so difficult, (speedboat) from Buenaventura or better, from Guapi

You may also contact Sea Wolf | Buceo (@seawolf_pacific) • Photos et vidéos Instagram

Need to go with Liver Boat , as the dive shop in Gorgona is not working

During whale season in Gorgona Humpbacks are everywhere.

To clarify we do not set out to dive with humpbacks. We do not chase or otherwise harass the whales. When on the surface we try to maintain a minimum distance of 200m. Having said that, they are whales and can swim anywhere they want. If they choose to join a group of divers it is completely up to them. Same goes for breaching a few meters away from ship or RIBs.:wink:

Gorgona often gets overlooked due to proximity to Malpelo. It is a great dive destination on it's own. Conditions are generally mild and suited for all level of divers plus you can night dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom