Gopro5 for photo&video: Two lights or one? Low lumen, high or one of each?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi!

I've been trying to make some decisions and in a deployed location, its hard for me to figure out what I need to get and try them out.

I've always enjoyed macro photography with a strobe...I never had the lighting to get further into the blue.
I just purchased a GoPro and i want to use it for videography/photography landscape as well as on small close up objects.

What setup would offer the most value?
Big Blue - two arm with narrow beam light and wide beam light (would i be able to photograph small objects)
Big Blue - one arm with wide beam (would it be sufficient for landscape)
L&M sidekick with arm. (would this be good for macro and landscape considering the lighting promises 600 or 400 lumens) - this is advertised as being the best of all worlds because of its compactness

How is macro photography with such bright flashlights?

Hi Diskoscuba,

For your GoPro (depending on your water conditions) all of our video lights under 15,000 lumens have a 120-degree beam with no hotspots which should be sufficient. For a GoPro in Caribbean waters I'd recommend the AL1800XWP. If you want a bit more punch go with the 2600XWP. All of these lights can be reduced in brightness (4 power settings) so if you find that you're washing out your subjects you can reduce the intensity.

I've never done macro before, so I won't comment specifically on that. However, I would imagine you want a light that has an Auto-Flash-Off functionality like our 1100AFO so your strobes can do the heavy work.

Good luck!

Nick

I use two 1,500 lumen video spots I-Torch video pro 4. on a home made mount. Does a great job.
Sample-

I've tried both a single and a double light system with my GoPro/Intova/CGX2 while shooting video. A single light always created shadows and one side of the video was always dark. Two is what I recommend.

I started out with a 1000XWP light from Big Blue. It worked well, but didn't have much penetration. Therefore I upgraded to the Black Molly 2600XWP lights. I don't regret upgrading to the Molly.

I don't take pictures so I am unable to answer your other questions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom