Question Gopro11 white balance and filter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

With the enduro batteries it will definitely last for more than one dive. We do clips and the back screen is on for the entire dive. Just be careful with the enduro batteries if using it out of the water because if accidentally left on it will shut down due to heat after awhile. I recommend using a regular gopro battery when uploading video after the dive etc...

How much battery time you get with 10-bit on ?? I tried it once during a dive recently and my battery went down very fast.

I usually use similar settings to yours but in Extended Battery mode (10 bit recording is not available with Extended Battery mode) and with those I can end a typical dive (recording here and there short clips only - not the whole dive) with ~50% battery left, hence I could marginally do two dives out of a single battery. With 10 bit recording (no battery saver) I couldn't even finish a normal dive.

Keep in mind that I'm pretty new to all these, so the issues with the battery might be something else I missed. I've got my hero 11 pretty recently and I haven't managed to dive with it as much as needed to experiment enough.
@Cali_diver
With the enduro batteries it will definitely last for more than one dive. We do clips and the back screen is on for the entire dive. Just be careful with the enduro batteries if using it out of the water because if accidentally left on it will shut down due to heat after awhile. I recommend using a regular gopro battery when uploading video after the dive etc...
hey this is super useful info. how do you turn on and off during a dive ? this is my first gopro 11. is it fiddly ? or u just press the top button and it stops and then press it again to resume ?
and you dont have turn the back screen off ? this is gonna be very useful
i really dont want to change batteries during my dives.

We have the 11 and so far we prefer it without the red filter as well.. super happy with it!
would you be able to share your settings as well ? without the filter ? what do you use for post-processing ?

hey this is super useful info. how do you turn on and off during a dive ? this is my first gopro 11. is it fiddly ? or u just press the top button and it stops and then press it again to resume ?
and you dont have turn the back screen off ? this is gonna be very useful
i really dont want to change batteries during my dives.
Most of the functions/settings are accessible only through the touch screen which means not accessible underwater. While underwater, with or without uw housing you only have access to the main buttons. There is one on the side which is the on/off and the one on the top is record/stop. The side button (brief press) also serves to change mode (time laps -> video -> photo -> back to time laps) while the camera is on or to add highlights while recording. Finally there are also some wierd button combinations (eg keep side button pressed and then press top button to change video mode etc).

For more info you should read the manual:

A nice(-ish) feature is that if you have the camera off and you see something nice to record you can press just the record (top) button and the camera will turn on and start recording ASAP. It still takes a couple of seconds to start recording, but you press just one button only.

I've seen several reports that enduro batteries offer better performance (whatever that means) under low temperatures, but for use under normal conditions the difference is very small (if any). I have 2 enduro and 2 clones/aftermarket and I can't notice much difference between them (although I haven't tested them with stop watch etc).
If not mistaken even the wording gopro uses advertising enduro over the "normal" ones is very vague. They mention better extreme condition performance but not higher capacity I think.

would you be able to share your settings as well ? without the filter ? what do you use for post-processing ?
Background: We only do clips that we like or we think others would like. I do not make trip recap movies etc. because I do not have the patience for making them or watching them. My husband used to make them and had a much bigger "nicer" camera but no more due to back issues. He has always hated the Gopro video look that past Gopros had and now he loves the Gopro 11. For post we have used adobe Premier Pro but for this last trip we used the Gopro app on the cell phone to do minor tweaks. I was surprised how easy and successful it was. It really worked well on the liveaboard for quick views and shares.

My Settings are:
hypersmooth stabilization standard
4k 60fps (30 if really deep and dark)
Wide FOV - not superview
Protune
Bitrate high shutter auto (standard ok)
ev comp -.5 - -1
White balance native good for when doing post processing (auto for easy)
iso min 100 max 400 (800 if deep and dark)
sharp low for easier adjust in edit (med for no post)
go pro color (natural) vs flat : use flat for adding clips with other clips from different cameras

Background: We only do clips that we like or we think others would like. I do not make trip recap movies etc. because I do not have the patience for making them or watching them. My husband used to make them and had a much bigger "nicer" camera but no more due to back issues. He has always hated the Gopro video look that past Gopros had and now he loves the Gopro 11. For post we have used adobe Premier Pro but for this last trip we used the Gopro app on the cell phone to do minor tweaks. I was surprised how easy and successful it was. It really worked well on the liveaboard for quick views and shares.

My Settings are:
hypersmooth stabilization standard
4k 60fps (30 if really deep and dark)
Wide FOV - not superview
Protune
Bitrate high shutter auto (standard ok)
ev comp -.5 - -1
White balance native good for when doing post processing (auto for easy)
iso min 100 max 400 (800 if deep and dark)
sharp low for easier adjust in edit (med for no post)
go pro color (natural) vs flat : use flat for adding clips with other clips from different cameras
hey thanks for this. this was super helpful. same here - i only do clips.
so i notice - no 10 bit. i think that saves quite a bit of battery. was that the reason ?

I was going to give away my original batteries once I got the Enduros but instead I use them for uploading

Hi @beediving

You don't really need the filters if you're willing to do some post processing. I use a GoPro 11 and decided that I did not want to carry 3 filters, one for each depth. Also, I've seen enough of ruined footage because the filter wasn't right for depth/environment.

I shoot without lights with the following settings:
  • Linear lens
  • Hypersmooth On
  • 10-bit
  • Bitrate High
  • EV Comp -0.5 (Still experimenting here)
  • White balance: Native
  • ISO: 100 - 400
  • Sharpness low
  • Color flat.

Then I fix the colors using daVinci resolve which is free.

Here's an example before and after:

Or even another example:

So even with my amateurish crappy skills the end result is quite good.

The only issue you'll have while color correcting in software is that if someone or you shines a light on your object that part of the image will be saturated with red. Luckily this can also be fixed by applying masks to specific ranges of color, luminance and saturation in order to further correct those over saturated bits. (this is "advanced" usage and it will take more time to master).

Back
Top Bottom