Question Gopro11 white balance and filter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1. I assume you mean without a red filter (if you mean with then I haven't tried that on H11 at all and no longer have my old), and disclaimer; I've just started experimenting with this camera and settings so highly likely others better qualified to answer. Also of course, it highly depends on conditions where you dive (even conditions of the day same place). That said, I found these settings a good starting point for the red sea diving I did, which was focused on trying without both the flip red filter and the dual video lights I usually use.

Res: 4K/60
Lens: Linear (many do wide, I like the look and feel of linear on this camera)
Hypersmooth: Boost
10-bit: On
Bit rate: High
Shutter: auto
EV-comp: -1.5
White Balance: 6000-6500K (I see others recommend a step or two lower)
ISO min: 100-200
ISO max: 800-1600 (these settings require good natural light and good visibility, some recommend setting higher)
Sharpness: Medium
Color: Natural (actually Vibrant was interesting to try too)
hi
so ur previous answer seems to mean that a red filter was preferred (even if u were doing postprocessing). did i read you right ? so i was already factoring in buying a red filter as well.
will these settings still work with it ...or should i change something if i get a red filter.

i thought you meant a red filter was all but mandatory...

Hi, to be clear: I preferred using red filter on previous GoPros that did not have the white balance adjustment option that Hero11 now has (I don't know if H10 had this). On the Hero11 I now prefer without red filter for my use (so far).

super thanks. this is very helpful!

and what do you use for postprocessing on the go ? im not planning to carry my laptop, so if there's something that works on the mobile...i'll be super grateful!

10-bit: On
How much battery time you get with 10-bit on ?? I tried it once during a dive recently and my battery went down very fast.

I usually use similar settings to yours but in Extended Battery mode (10 bit recording is not available with Extended Battery mode) and with those I can end a typical dive (recording here and there short clips only - not the whole dive) with ~50% battery left, hence I could marginally do two dives out of a single battery. With 10 bit recording (no battery saver) I couldn't even finish a normal dive.

Keep in mind that I'm pretty new to all these, so the issues with the battery might be something else I missed. I've got my hero 11 pretty recently and I haven't managed to dive with it as much as needed to experiment enough.

super thanks. this is very helpful!

and what do you use for postprocessing on the go ? im not planning to carry my laptop, so if there's something that works on the mobile...i'll be super grateful!

I'm using a fairly powerful gaming desktop PC for editing/processing, not doing anything on the go. Previously used Vegas Pro and PowerDirector 365 software, was planning on learning DaVinci Resolve now, many seem to like it and seems powerful from what I have seen.

How much battery time you get with 10-bit on ?? I tried it once during a dive recently and my battery went down very fast.

I usually use similar settings to yours but in Extended Battery mode (10 bit recording is not available with Extended Battery mode) and with those I can end a typical dive (recording here and there short clips only - not the whole dive) with ~50% battery left, hence I could marginally do two dives out of a single battery. With 10 bit recording (no battery saver) I couldn't even finish a normal dive.

Keep in mind that I'm pretty new to all these, so the issues with the battery might be something else I missed. I've got my hero 11 pretty recently and I haven't managed to dive with it as much as needed to experiment enough.

So far I have been able to record what I want from 2 dives on one battery, as I never record the whole dive, only the most interesting sights (makes editing easier too imho). But I also bring extra batteries (of the new Enduro type) on the boat in case I use too much of it on first dive, so I can switch for second dive, or if we are doing even more dives.

Also, for longer trips, I bring dual charger and a good powerbank.

So far I have been able to record what I want from 2 dives on one battery, as I never record the whole dive, only the most interesting sights (makes editing easier too imho). But I also bring extra batteries (of the new Enduro type) on the boat in case I use too much of it on first dive, so I can switch for second dive, or if we are doing even more dives.

Also, for longer trips, I bring dual charger and a good powerbank.
You can get (parts of) 2 dives with 10bit on one battery??
In my case, I tried it during a quite "boring" dive (maybe 10minute recordings or most probably even less) and the battery was down to 30% or so (!). Ok, battery usage depends on other things too (screen usage etc) but still.
I need to give it another try for sure

You can get (parts of) 2 dives with 10bit on one battery??
In my case, I tried it during a quite "boring" dive (maybe 10minute recordings or most probably even less) and the battery was down to 30% or so (!). Ok, battery usage depends on other things too (screen usage etc) but still.
I need to give it another try for sure
Yes, I can indeed. But if first dive eats too much battery, just change.

ok, so previous attempt (and because of Youtube, pause, set to HD (even if "auto-HD").

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom