GoPro Tray mount with lighting options - $15

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nathaneal

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Thought i would share my new mount in case anyone wanted to build something similar.

Cost was under $15:

- 1 x 1 meter 15mm Pvc Pipe = $1.90
- 4 x 15mm 90 degree elbow joint = $5.88
- 2 x 15mm Pvc End Caps = $3.00
- 1 x 15mm PVC T Piece = $1.99
- pack of colored duct tape = $2.00

= $14.77

Side note: I did use some left over 'No Nails' and a bit of flat plastic i found in the shed. If purchased would add about $4 onto the total price.

The picture is pretty self explanatory as to how to assemble. The Black Handle sections are 6.5'' long, Rasta colored bottom sections into T piece are 4.5'' and the part where the torch is attached was 5'' to fit my light.

I glued the flat bit of plastic to sit flush on top of the T Piece and then attached a standard flat GoPro mount.

Giving it a test run tomorrow but i am pretty happy with the final result. Next one i build will have an arm brace on the bottom for stability and will include two torch mounts.

2nv6yr6.jpg

Nice. I assume it is sealed? I'd be curious to know what the buoyancy characteristics are. I have a store bought tray mount and my only complaint is that it is negative. A neutrally buoyant mount would be ideal I think. Please post again after you try it out and let us know how it works out.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

Captain Bil, no it isn't actually sealed. I was worried that if i made it completely sealed i would have issues under pressure so i left it open at the back of the T piece so water can flow in and out.

Used it over the weekend whilst diving with Grey nurse sharks and i didn't have any issues at all. It is slightly negatively boyant, just slightly so it will start to sink when you let go of it.

I attatched a lanyard to the tray and the other end to a clip so i could easily attach and remove from my BCD when needed. This was usefull when entering and exiting the water via our boat. But most of the time i just kept a hold of it, and found that the width of the tray made clearig my mask quite easy even with the tray held in both hands.

All up very happy with it. My next one will have two mounts for lights rather then just the one but appart from that, a decent and affordable little mount!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom