GoPro to 55m / 180Ft

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There's also - Sartek Industries Product Details - for taking a GoPro really deep (<750'). - $100
The website has a price tag of $400 at that price point you might as well go for a Hugyfot or NiMAR (well maybe not that expensive).

Oops, $100 is for the clear back, the case is $400.

Have any one taken his GoPro to 55m /180Ft depth in its original underwater housing ?

It suppose to be rated to 45m / 150ft, but that I believe is just a limit point with some safety factor build in.

You should be clear on which model and housing you're talking about.

I THINK the Hero 3 came with the Dive housing, rated for 60m. But, I THINK the 3+ and 4 came with a housing that is only rated for 40m and you would need to buy the Dive housing separately. And I THINK that the posts about using a GoPro past 200' are talking about using it with the 60m housing, not the 40m.

My GoPro is a Hero 3, but it didn't want to turn on at 55m, when I was in Deco at 9m it turned on without problem.

I have a GoPro Hero 3 and have never had any issues taking it to a depth of 145' but when I took my GoPro Hero 4 to the same depth I came back with a fractured faceplate that I assume was from the case caving in (it did NOT leak).

The Hero 3 came with the Dive housing (rated for 60m). You can recognize it because it has the screws around the bezel that is around the lens.

As shown here:

https://shop.gopro.com/accessories-2/dive-housing-–-197-60m/AHDEH-301.html

The Hero 3+ and 4 came with the regular underwater housing, which has no visible screw heads in the bezel around the lens. It's rated for 40m. As shown here:

http://shop.gopro.com/accessories-2/standard-housing---131-40m/AHSRH-401.html

I believe you can buy the Dive housing (the same housing that came with the Hero 3) and use it with the 3+ or 4.

I have always thought that was a really poor thing for GoPro to do (switch to a lighter duty housing and not really do anything to make that change jump out to the people who upgraded from the 3 to a 3+ or 4.

The only reason I can see that they even made the 40m housing (since they already had a 60m housing that was included) was so that they could make more money buy selling the 60m housing as an extra accessory.

I have then the 60m rating housing, I guess my mistake was to try to turn it on at 55m, because it didn't want to at that depth, but yesterday I went on another Tec Dive to 52m, this time I turned on the camera before starting the descend and everything is on video :)

The only reason I can see that they even made the 40m housing (since they already had a 60m housing that was included) was so that they could make more money buy selling the 60m housing as an extra accessory.
The funny thing is that I just purchased the new GoPro Hero 5 yesterday (for the image stabilization) and at least this time I was told that I needed to also buy what they referred to as the Super Suit which is good to 60m (196ft).

The funny thing is that I just purchased the new GoPro Hero 5 yesterday (for the image stabilization) and at least this time I was told that I needed to also buy what they referred to as the Super Suit which is good to 60m (196ft).

I have a Hero 3 Black. I have been very tempted by the Hero 5, mainly for the fact that I could use it with no housing and not have to worry about it getting wet - on land and if I go snorkeling. I am really disappointed, though, that they don't make a 100m housing for it. Not that I've gone deeper than 60m yet - but it's in the cards...

For now, I'm biding my time and waiting to see if one of the Asian clone companies comes out with a clone of the 5 for $50 - 100. :)

Back
Top Bottom