GoPro to 55m / 180Ft

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Remy B.

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Have any one taken his GoPro to 55m /180Ft depth in its original underwater housing ?

It suppose to be rated to 45m / 150ft, but that I believe is just a limit point with some safety factor build in.

Our tech group take then to 55m and a bit more, the seem to survive. Not sure what the depth is that they'll fail, I would presume at least 55m + 25%

See my previous response on the matter, regarding taking a GoPro to 250'

Paralenz - An action camera dedicated diving

If you watch this video, you can hear when the blur fix implodes from the vacuum between the lens. The GoPro was fine.

Last edited:
My understanding is it's not the housing that is the limitation, but the spring buttons. At a certain pressure the spring can no longer resist the force and will begin depressing the buttons.

At what depth does that happen? I don't know.

Yes that is what happen a few hours ago, We reach 55m and I wanted to turn on the camera, and it didn't, so no video :(

What I can say is that my Canon housing did work fine at that depth (56,4m) and is rated for 40m, it took pictures fine, no issues with it.

Yes that is what happen a few hours ago, We reach 55m and I wanted to turn on the camera, and it didn't, so no video :(

What I can say is that my Canon housing did work fine at that depth (56,4m) and is rated for 40m, it took pictures fine, no issues with it.
This might work. The SJCAM knockoffs are apparently notorious for turning off at depth. Scroll down for a solution. Perhaps this would work to increase the depth for a GoPro.

Imitation GoPro Cameras from China. Any Good?

I have a Hero 3 and have taken it past 200' fairly often. The dive housing is rated to 197 ft (60 meters) and the only thing I have noticed is the back of the housing gets pressed against the LCD screen. I took it past 240 ft one time and it still functioned.

Back
Top Bottom