GoPro Reach or Evo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Malpaso

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I had a home made gopole that cost me about $10 to put together, and it worked fine both above and below water. It was a great project, but it finally broke, and now I'd like a "real" one. I do both land and underwater videography (neither well!). I've narrowed it down to the Evo and the Reach.

Pro for the Evo - waterproof and floats
Pro for Reach - longer

Con for Evo - floats (I'm concerned it will get in the way when clipped off and not being used, instead of just hanging down)
Con for Reach - not waterproof. I understand it's fine if you rinse it out after using it in the ocean, but it's just not designed for the job.

I know I should get both in true Scubaboard tradition, but I am cheap, in true Scubaboard tradition :rofl3:

Has anyone tried both?

While you are, by your own admission "cheap", there comes a point where it might be beneficial to spend a little more to get better final results.

My recommendation would be to get a tray not a pole. There are several reasonably priced models out there and the tray will be much more stable than a pole will be. As an alternative, you could made one as a DIY project.The end result is that your videos will be much better and easier to watch. (And ultimately isn't that why you want to shoot video to show it to other people?)

While I understand the benefits of a tray, the one handed nature of the pole fits my needs better.

I picked this one up a couple months ago. Have done 8 dives with it and my Hero5. Has worked great. Its carbon fiber so, no rust.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CCRXP7S/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
71775GaWweL._SX522_.jpg

I have the GoPole reach. The pole is on the thicker side, so you'll notice the pole alot more in the shots.

-go for a skinnier pole that way there is a lot less pole in the video.
-the pole is white.. I watch alot of Diving videos and I prefer the black poles it's a little less distracting than the white one in my opinion.
-it doesn't float. If I'm in deep water and I drop it I don't be able to recover my camera. Almost happened while snorkeling with the pole.
-when you want to shorten the stick, you have to pump water out of the pole by moving it in and out(annoying)

One thing thing that I do like about the Reach is that you can adjust the length. If you're tired of holding a long stick you can shorten it.

Just an FYI there's a Gopro stick on Instagram called the Spivo Stick.. Their major feature is that, if the camera is facing you, you press a button on the pole and the camera will face forward, so you don't have to twist and rotate it yourself. I don't remember if it floats or not.

I have another Gopro stick called the Handler. It's a short stick. But it's too close for my liking, when I record videos and want to take selfies

Also pick something where the camera sits up high off the pile, and you will not see the pole at all in your shots. Kind of like the one in the photo above.

I don't do selfies, so I'm not concerned with the color of the pole. No one wants to see me in the videos!

Got the GoPro6 for Christmas, and treated myself to the UK Carbon 40. Thanks for the heads up @Rustydiver

Back
Top Bottom