GoPro mask Mount?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marty Cerven

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Has anyone out there tried a GoPro mask mount? Ive used the headband in the past and works OK but the main issue is its not quite the same angle as your eye-line so aiming it is very critical and can easily be mucked up making you miss the things your actually looking at. Also Bubbles can tend to get in the shot and ruin it at times if stationary, I was looking at ways to get a better head mounted POV shot.

I have been thinking of a way to mount a GoPro to my mask and have come up with this simple yet silly and not entirely safe solution :D Surprisingly with the mask I use Visibility is not too badly effected and its only attached with some rubber bands so it can be removed very easily and quickly if needed. You would also want to be comfortable with swimming without a mask and the full mask clear if ever attempting something this stupid :shakehead:

Here is the sort of visibility you get with this, but when I wore it I saw more then these pics and surprisingly it didnt take up too much vision and you could still see objects straight ahead fairly easily.

Left and Right view from inside the mask, with the mask design though you actually see much more on the outside as the silicon stops the camera from getting a proper angle.

The mask is a Tusa Visualator from what I can tell, I just bought it at a dive shop when I kind of lost mine entering the water lol.

I would highly recommend nobody to try this :no: but I may be stupid enough to have a go.

I will be shooting something where I want to get a true POV shot, maybe If I put the LCD backpack on I can just look through that and see what Im doing. :D

I have seen this done in a much more dangerous activity driving a formula 1 car by Luca Di Grassi who mounted it over one eye, but Ive also seen another F1 driver drive a lap while recording it handheld on his Iphone.

[video=youtube;97rrME9eQHA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97rrME9eQHA[/video]

I've tried this also - but with poor results. Was a fun experiment tho :)

I move my head around far too much (I guess we all do) - FYI I've had the best results using a 5ft monopod with the tripod adaptor. You can swing the camera around both ways - to look at things, or look at yourself. A pole/monopod is the way to go, I assure you.

More information see GoProUser.freeforums.org • Index page

Here is the video from the mask mount. The bubble caused vibrations as it was only attached with a couple of rubber bands and the view was to put simply terrible lol. I almost felt sick after 20 min of not being able to see directly infornt.

[video=youtube;DG9KrASLX6w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DG9KrASLX6w[/video]

This was just as a test for when I do up a full review of the SRP tray as I wanted to show it in use, this tray was an early proto and I was experimenting with a 3rd handle and made it neutral with just some tubular foam so it looks a little dodgy lol.

Ive just got the new tray and its much better then the early version I had, looks very cool and is also much lighter with more mounting options but that will all be in my review test later including some light tests.

Back
Top Bottom