GoPro Hero5 vs Sony FDR-X3000

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Never heard of it til now. A quick review shows it has some interesting features and is oriented towards divers. I've often pined that uw cameras need a depth sensor because white balance is neither a single setting (as with Sony) or even a series of settings (Flip filters 0-20, 20-50, 50+) but an infinite range based on depth. Paralenz seems to have that depth sensor and adjust colors based on depth. However, depth is just one part of it. You also need to adjust for ambient light and water color. One complaint about Gopro and Sony is inability to manually set white balance by aiming at something white, then lock it. Paralenz seems to also lack this. I hate it when auto white balance suddenly shifts in middle of scene.

But at $599, Paralenz is significantly more expensive than Sony or Gopro.

I purchased an X3000 and recently had a chance to try it out. Overall I'm very impressed with it. The image stabilization worked well and the underwater mode color correction looked decent. No radioactive green images like I've seen with unfiltered go pros. I have never used a go pro so I can't compare my experience. Using the buttons underwater was easy and changing modes wasnt difficult either. My only initial complaint was the auto sleep timer which would kick in every minute or two when I wasn't recording. I turned that off and haven't had a problem since. I filmed in 1080p @ 60fps XAVC. Would rather go with the higher framerate than 4k @ 30fps. I didn't find the lack of view screen to be a problem either. The battery lasted a long time, filming over an hour on my last dive without hitting 50%. Very happy with the Sony so far.

Edited, since I went and read the user manuals.

Can it be mounted on a tripod or tray?
looks like it has a snap-on mount with the typical "gopro" attachment.

Can you disable the color adjustment if using lights?
Yes, they in fact warn you to do so over and over.

Does it have image stabilization?
Electronic image stabilization. Anyone know how effective it is?

Can you change modes underwater?
Yes.

Last edited:
Edited, since I went and read the user manuals.

Can it be mounted on a tripod or tray?
looks like it has a snap-on mount with the typical "gopro" attachment.

Can you disable the color adjustment if using lights?
Yes, they in fact warn you to do so over and over.

Does it have image stabilization?
Electronic image stabilization. Anyone know how effective it is?

Can you change modes underwater?
Yes.

You are correct in everything you researched. Not sure about the Image stabalization though. I had it ON for all of my shots, but have not used it OFF to compare. My impression is that it's effect is limited. I'm going to use it in the pool this weekend, and will compare ON vs OFF to see if I notice any difference.

All I know for sure, is that from about 16 hrs of video, I think I came up with some pretty great footage for a 12 min video. (see above)

One of the biggest challenges was getting good at pointing it my subjects. I had/have a lot of footage with the camera aimed high, but as my first week wore on, I was getting better at it. They have assured us that a small add on LCD screen that will attach to the camera is in the works so you can view what you are recording. However, what I think I liked was not being focused on any view screen, and I was able to enjoy my subjects as I recorded them. I just need a bit more practice at aiming the camera better which got noticeably better each day.

PS: I also took many still pictures which looked just as good as the videos. Next trip everything will be done in 4k so I can take good screen grabs, and not switch back and forth.

I really appreciate the lcd screen of my gopro's. Not that I stay glued to them but it's nice to check when you start recording something closer to see that you're on target, especially with a tripod. That paralenz is so small it would be hard to any any screen of decent size without changing the whole dynamic of the camera. Maybe just a clipon sight scope?

.....That paralenz is so small it would be hard to any any screen of decent size without changing the whole dynamic of the camera. Maybe just a clipon sight scope?

Trust me, after a few dives you get pretty good at pointing accurately.

They are in the process of producing a small LCD screen that will clip onto the camera for those that insist. I'm guessing it will link via bluetooth or something, but will work as a live view screen will filming.

Trust me, you really don't. You may think you do so long as you are shooting wide-angle or a subject that fills less than half the viewing area but when you shoot a subject from 2 feet away that fills the frame, even the slightest angle shift results in the subject being cut off. And framing the subject is not the only purpose of a screen. There is a reason all professional videographers and all professional cameras have screens.

Bluetooth works underwater?

Trust me, you really don't. You may think you do so long as you are shooting wide-angle or a subject that fills less than half the viewing area but when you shoot a subject from 2 feet away that fills the frame, even the slightest angle shift results in the subject being cut off. And framing the subject is not the only purpose of a screen. There is a reason all professional videographers and all professional cameras have screens.

Bluetooth works underwater?

Yes, I understand why a screen is much more desirable I'm just saying that you get pretty good at pointing this thing. Its also not meant for macro, and is always wide angle. Isn't my video (posted above) proof that you can get pretty good at aiming? I admit there's lots of footage on the cutting room floor where my aiming was way off!! :)

I don't know about the bluetooth, was just guessing at how the new screen was going to "pair" with the camera. Perhaps NFC or WiFi.
Probably NFC? Isn't that what the dive computers with remote sensors use?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom