GoPro Hero5 vs Sony FDR-X3000

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sony is beating GoPro with the optical stabilized images but GoPro5's waterproof body is a big plus to consider. I have no less than four paper weights at home due to flooding.

I've stumbled across some of your videos. And let me tell ya, they put up a strong argument for GoPro. Excellent quality!

If the next Gopro doesn't have optical image stabilization I'll be getting the Sony. I'm very picky about image shakiness and am spending way too much time post-processing videos with Mercalli or Deshaker.

Red filters and mounting can be figured out, I'm confident.

As for no backscreen and being able to see what I'm filming, I'll just use my current Gopro next to the Sony on a tray.

Can't compare to GoPro because I've never owned one but I absolutely love the Sony FDR-X3000. Bought it for a diving safari in the Maldives and I'm so happy I did. Was at first worried about not having a screen to see what I'm shooting but I can tell you now, this is such a non issue. The angle is so wide, I've never missed any thing. If you can aim a gun (doesn't have to be for a bull's eye) or even point your finger at something/someone you should have no problems. Also accessories is as easy as surfing amazon or ebay. The Sony doesn't need the red filter as it has an underwater position in camera that does a good job. Might be interesting to try and add some red filter and see what it does. I've used it for videos only, so maybe if you are trying to take still pictures and composition is critical, I assume you would do better with a screen. Love the picture quality. I also saw my GoPro friends' videos from the same dives and I prefer mine.
Here are just a couple samples... oooops... it doesn't let me upload... I'll try again later

I think I figured it out, so here is one more...

Nice videos, OC. What depths were you at when you shot those?

Reactions: OC
Thanks,
Sharks at 30-32m (You can hear the computer beeping in the background :)
Turtle at 5-8m.
Both clips with no editing picture quality, no filters, no flash... only cutting the length...

OC:
Thanks,
Sharks at 30-32m (You can hear the computer beeping in the background :)
Turtle at 5-8m.
Both clips with no editing picture quality, no filters, no flash... only cutting the length...
Wow, in that case that is impressive in-camera stabilization. Not so impressive holding onto the coral, though.

Reactions: OC
Thanks kelemvor, in both places these are mostly dead corals, more like rocks and sand. at the 30m you have to hold onto the rocks or hook yourself with a reef hook as there is a strong current. That is why all the sharks are gathering there... In general you are absolutely correct, but in this case, I can assure you that no harm was caused to any living thing (fish/corals)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom