GoPro Hero3 Silver and SanDisk 64GB micro SD failure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Capnhook

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi there,

Just got back from 2 weeks in Akumal and took 4-5 hours worht of footage on my GoPro Hero3 Silver. On my last dive I got to depth and turned the camera on and it read "NO SD". The card was in and the camera was working about 20 minutes earlier. Now I cannot access any of the files on the card. When I put the card in my PC, nothing happens, the computer won't even see it. I tried on a friends iMac and same thing. Tried plugging the camera into the computer with the cable and same thing. I have read that the Hero3 is sometimes having issues with the 64GB cards. i guess my main question is, is all of that priceless video from my first dive trip gone? Does anyone have any suggestions on how I could recover the files? Help, please.

I've only had my GoPro for 2 months. Used it during a trip to Florida, after each use I download it and reformatted. Then all of a sudden I got "No SD Card" Tried as I would, nothing. I even used a card reader and when I put it in my computer, nothing shows up.
I have see much written about problems with the 64gb cards. Just send a bunch of information requested by SD. Hope for a replacement.
I have seen where people have asked about recovery and from what I gather its several hundred bucks.
Sorry you my have lost everything.

Al

never format a sd card from your computer
the 64gb cards use exfat as the format
And the gopro and computer standards are inconsistent
Stick with 32 gb cards and dump often

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk 2

I just bought a netbook purely to take on an upcoming trip and download to after each dive then format in camera. I only have 32gb cards and am taking spares. Personally I would steer clear of 64gb cards, you will never fill them before the battery dies anyway, and when you change the battery you can dump the footage from that dive. Price of a netbook was nothing compared to the cost of a dive trip, you can always sell it after.

Sorry none of this advice helps you get your footage back but it might help someone else.

Good luck though!

I just bought a netbook purely to take on an upcoming trip and download to after each dive then format in camera. I only have 32gb cards and am taking spares. Personally I would steer clear of 64gb cards, you will never fill them before the battery dies anyway, and when you change the battery you can dump the footage from that dive. Price of a netbook was nothing compared to the cost of a dive trip, you can always sell it after.

Sorry none of this advice helps you get your footage back but it might help someone else.

Good luck though!

On this note, I have the cheapest tablet I could find - it almost feel disposable at $68 USD, however, it does have a SD card slot plus supports USB OTG, meaning I can plug an external (powered) HD or other memory sticks and move data around, it even plays 1080p.

I too prefer smaller and more cards.

Most tablets dont carry enough space for multiple card dumps
on a typical dive your going to end up with over 14 gb of data. (shooting 2.7k)
so unless you have an external hard drive on your tablet or only doing one or two dives you will need more storage

Most tablets dont carry enough space for multiple card dumps
on a typical dive your going to end up with over 14 gb of data. (shooting 2.7k)
so unless you have an external hard drive on your tablet or only doing one or two dives you will need more storage

Using the internal memory is not the plan - it has a SD card slot (where the camera's SD goes in) AND a USB port (where an external hard drive or card reader or flash goes). The tablet just allows to review and move stuff around.

just suffered the same fate with a 64gb sandisk in a hero3 black before a fun dive on koh tao, and now I don't have enough time to go and find a 32gb. not happy sandisk!!! never again will I buy sandisk.

It isn't a SanDisk problem, its a problem with the GoPro. When I contacted them they basically said they don't know why it's having issues but they recommended using only a 32gb as a max. Really wish they said that from the start. That said, I was eventually able to recover about 70% of my footage with the help of a couple different recovery programs.

not true, unless you feel early adoption is a fault
Sandisk esp the ultra series is behind many of the freezing issues
inconsistent handling of exfat (required) for 64gb is also a problem

Why is the rum always gone

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom