GoPro Hero2 Professional released but no news of Flat Port

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pical

New
Reaction score
I've been researching the GoPro Hero and have been keeping an eye on the GoPro website for the past few days. Over the weekend they announced the release of the GoPro Hero2 Professional and a reduction in the price of the GoPro Hero Naked.

The new GoPro Hero 2 only comes in 3 versions - and an "Underwater" version is notably missing. There is no "Naked" version of the new version - even though it has 2X sharpness and goes from 5 mega pixels to 11 mega pixels.

The FOV is increased as well...(we'll let them do their own marketing).

But the key message that I received as late as last week is that they are still working on the "flat port" option and that there is no ETA on that being available from the factory.

Thanks to this forum I understand that the after-market fix from Snake River Prototying is the best option in terms of engineering and options.

I'm not in any hurry - next drive trip is planned for January - so I'm hoping to hear from someone about whether the new 2 X sharpness of the GoPro Hero2 has any real effect on the blur underwater - or if the curved lens still needs correcting (my expectation).

regards, Pical

The new GoPro Hero 2 only comes in 3 versions - and an "Underwater" version is notably missing. There is no "Naked" version of the new version - even though it has 2X sharpness and goes from 5 mega pixels to 11 mega pixels.

While they don't have a specific "underwater package", the waterproof housing for the new Hero2 has a deeper rating than their previous model, 197' instead of 180'. Not a big deal for rec use, I know, but it's nice to know they made made improvements on the housing.

I use GoPros for lots of purposes, not just for diving, and I am anxious to get one of these in the water. I will be rushing out to get a few of these soon and will be happy to share my findings. :wink:

I'm at a point where I'm actually hoping that another big camera maker such as Canon makes a competing product to GoPro. It seems to me if they did that GoPro would be wiped off the board because there's nothing about GoPro technology that seems to give it a competitive advantage. Canon (or any other camcorder manufacturer) would also probably make a better camera. <Fingers crossed>

(And I'm sure that the ppl @ GoPro wake up everyday realizing this)

I'm at a point where I'm actually hoping that another big camera maker such as Canon makes a competing product to GoPro. It seems to me if they did that GoPro would be wiped off the board because there's nothing about GoPro technology that seems to give it a competitive advantage. Canon (or any other camcorder manufacturer) would also probably make a better camera. <Fingers crossed>

(And I'm sure that the ppl @ GoPro wake up everyday realizing this)

I love Canon. My photog/Videography company has to 5D mkII's and are looking at picking up a couple more, but do you think a company like canon can make a small, powerful, and sturdy camera like gopro? If you look at what you get for the cost, it's pretty amazing and hard to top. We've had our Hero's on the outside of airplanes, jets, mud bogging trucks, ducatis in a moto gp... They can take a beating, and that's just as important for the typical gopro user as the output quality. Are they the best camera for underwater use? Maybe not, but I would say the Hero2 looks to be a step in the right direction. You can believe I will be getting 2 or 3 of these before the end of the year.

I got my HD a couple months ago in anticipation of my trip in 3 weeks. Wish I would have waited because there is nothing I hate worst about it than the cryptic menu system. Wonder if they'll do some sort of loyal customer trade in? I swear, I have recorded about 10, 1-minute segments with mine.

Any word on is the old cases will fit the new version?

I think its pretty much the same case doesn't look like anything has changed there not sure where they got the extra depth rating, maybe they just learned how to convert meters to feet lol. The last housing was 60m 180ft this ones 60m 197ft. :D and looks identical fitting an exact same sized camera.

It does say that all your HD hero accessories and mounts can be used in the hero2. Does have options to adjust FOV between 90, 127 and 170 in both 720p and 1080p modes with 2x faster processor and 2x sharper lens better at low light according to the marketing speak. Definitely a decent upgrade and for the cost strength and image quality you get there isn't a great deal of competition at this price point outside of other sports cams.

I always wondered why the big guys haven't made something to compete as the market must be getting big enough in the action cam market but I doubt canon would make a much better camera that would be anywhere near the gopro price point with an underwater housing.

The real question for me is whether they fixed the damn white-ballence issue that has plagued me, as well as others in the low-light mudholes we dive in:

As illustrated in this guy's video at 30 seconds.
GoPro weird effect - YouTube

Or in my video at 1:09:
Arête Photography

Seriously, this frustrates me. After paying that much money for the camera I am not happy that I had to deal with buying a new case for the flat port…and on top of that the white balance issue of having un-useable video in dark situations (ie red effect).

I think GoPro has a great camera, but they need to get this fixed, STAT.

-Andy

Back
Top Bottom