** GoPro Hero2 Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba-Barbie06

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello,

I received a GoPro Hero2 for Christmas and have yet to try it out underwater.... I want to get awesome video while in Brazil in March, however I am not too sure what to expect. Of course the professional GoPro videos look amazing, but they have experience using the little gadget.
I would like to hear any tips or advise when using the camera underwater, and if I should look into a colored lens to bring out the colors.

FYI: I have seen average depth in our location of Brazil is around 60ft.

Thanks in advance for any info!!!!

You might try looking in the "GoPro" section of this forum for more info... However, I would start with recommending a GoPro dive housing ($50) and a red filter (many options)....Take extra batteries (Wasabi sells a charger with 2 batteries for around $25.00).. I use a quikpod monopod for mounting my camera which works well for me.. You will need to be a GoPro tripod adapter if you decide to use a monopod. Buy some anti-fog inserts, generic ones can be bought on ebay for about half the price of the name brand ones..(I have even used pieces of chamois with no problem)

Here's a link to a video I made using the quikpod...

Diving in Cozumel edit 2.. extended version- 1080p.wmv - YouTube

Thank you so much!!
I never thought of Anti Fog inserts, makes sense! lol.... I have the dive housing plus the LCD screen which I think will be handy. I like the idea of a monopod instead of a head mount, which I have. Getting close up shots will be way easier! I will look into purchasing one for sure!

your video is awesome!! Thanks again, and ill be sure to look in the GoPro section of the SB for more tips. I am new at this, and trying to find my way around :)

Thanks! The LCD is great, however, I turn mine off when I dive or after I have framed the shot / camera into position because it's a huge drain on the battery...

That video was made using my friend's red filter (Oculus brand).. It's basic and relatively inexpensive and did a decent job...However, I am looking at the backscatter or SRP for my next filter for my Hero3.. I think I like the flip filter function that way you are not trying to put the filter on and off at shallow depths and at the surface where the filter is not needed, thus increasing the chances of loosing or damaging/ scratching the filter.

The head mount in my opinion will not work very well because we have a tendency to move our heads alot looking for things which will result in an unstable video.. Of course, no mount will work well if you are not an experienced diver with steady hands :)

Good luck and enjoy!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom