Sport Diver (iPhone) vs GoPro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dr.fish

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello,

For those folks that have used both, which one do you gravitate towards more? I currently have a GoPro 10 hero and it does a pretty good job. I'm just wondering how photos and video of a newish iPhone would stack up against the GoPro. Also, how much flexibility is there in adding my own tray and flex arms to a Sport Diver housing as I already have a set up for my GoPro. My iPhone is so intuitive and flexible to use that I would love to take it underwater IF the image quality comes close to the GoPro.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

A lot of people use the sealife sport diver with iPhone and Android phones. The newer phones have fantastic cameras and processors for them. You also get the option of immediately sharing them since they're already on your phone. The go pro does a dang good job of shooting video that you can then pull stills out of (best iron for photos with it imo).

The downside to diving with your phone is if something happens and you flood or lose it then you're SOL. If you have a spare phone then it might be a great option.

I had a Sport Diver and found it frustrating (fiddly vacuum, lots of button pushes). I’ve now used a DiveVolk for many dives and think it’s excellent. But with either, you’ll get the same quality of images and video as on land, including the computational chops, so you could take a few pictures of the same subject with both and see which you prefer. (I found the GoPros hard to use, but it’s been a few generations.) UwP just published this review of the DiveVolk, in case you’re not committed to the Sport Diver. DiveVolk SeaTouch 4 Max Smartphone Housing Review

I can't comment on the iPhone aspect, but I've found video grabs from the GoPro Hero 11 to be more than acceptable for holiday snaps and this approach gives you multiple frames to choose your shot. I wasn't overly impressed with using the GoPro for still photography underwater.

Screenshot-2023-08-30-at-03-14-27.jpg

I can't comment on the iPhone aspect, but I've found video grabs from the GoPro Hero 11 to be more than acceptable for holiday snaps and this approach gives you multiple frames to choose your shot. I wasn't overly impressed with using the GoPro for still photography underwater.

Screenshot-2023-08-30-at-03-14-27.jpg
MB NZ, That's a great capture of butterflies. I've used my gopro 10 on 8 dives so far and do have some useful video. I stopped trying to get stills with the gopro. I also stopped trying to get reasonable macro video. I couldn't get used to the close up filter. What draws me to the iphone is much quicker editing and sharing capabilities. My last trip I waited to get home to edit gopro and by the time I shared the family was less enthusiastic! Too little patience.

RMorgan, How were the lower light stills and video on your iphone? What lighting set up do you use? I have 2 of the Backscatter 4300 macro wide lights.

I suspect I'll pick one of the housings for the phone and do a comparison with my gopro.

I've read numerous cautions about losing ones phone due to flooding. Does anyone know if this is common? I will look into the DiveVolk.

Thanks all!

I've read numerous cautions about losing ones phone due to flooding.
If you follow the directions and ensure your vacuum test is complete you should be fine. Just like with any other sealed housing you need to ensure the gasket is clean. Since your iPhone is waterproof to x meters AND the sport diver housing has an alarm you should be fine in case of a minor leak. That is of course if you abort the dive before the housing can get to your current pressure.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom