GoPro Hero Eye of Mine vs. Go For Focus

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ctinaves

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey everyone,

I'm considering buying the GoPro for a few upcoming dives and thanks to this website now realize that additional accessories are necessary for underwater filming. It appears that a lot of people recommend the Eye of Mine and the piece from Go For Focus (aka Pursuit Freediving & Spearfishing Gear for those in the U.S). Any preference of one over the other? Is the Eye of Mine worth the extra cost?

Also, deciding between 1080 and 960.. thoughts? worth the cost as well?

Any other info you may have on the topic would be greatly appreciated

Spend the money on the 1080. They now have a LDC display for the 1080. It cant be used on the 960 and it comes with a new door for the housing. Now you can see what you are shooting. I have both the Eye Of Mine and go for focus lens and both work good. The go for focus lens somtimes you can see the lens in the video depending on how the sun hits it, but his is the one I use most due to the size of the Eye Of Mine lens. The head strap works good and I made a hand mount out of the base it comes on. I also have some of the stick on mounts mounted on my DPV, SnowBoard and Helmet and have not had a problem with any of them yet.

Go with the Contour HD 1080. There is a comparison on youtube you will find. No comparison. Contour blows go pro out of the water. If you want to see a night dive with the contour i just posted one on advanced scuba discussion thread. The lighting becomes an issue when its dark. It was my first video so there is a lot of things i will do in the future but you should know the contour is better.

Go with the Contour HD 1080. There is a comparison on youtube you will find. No comparison. Contour blows go pro out of the water. If you want to see a night dive with the contour i just posted one on advanced scuba discussion thread. The lighting becomes an issue when its dark. It was my first video so there is a lot of things i will do in the future but you should know the contour is better.

The Contour shows a waterproof case rating to 30m/98 ft. The GoPro states 180' depth rating. Anyone have any experience with either of these claims?

Actually I have an H2OV housing that is depth rated to 400'. Sorry, still better. :)

I don't mean to be rude so when i read this again it seems like it might come off wrong. What I mean is that the picture clarity is better and with the right housing (the H2OV housing) you can get very deep.

Last edited:
The dive shop owner for Lake Jocassee Dive shop has taken his H2OV housing to over 200' but has not tested the 400' claim yet. He plans to at Lake Jocassee.

Actually I have an H2OV housing that is depth rated to 400'. Sorry, still better. :)

Good to know that's available. A 100' H2 rating would barely cut it on most dives, but the 180' GP housing would be adequate with a bit of safety factor. Not sure how many dives past 180' I'd really want to take a camera on and I'm still a few feet shy of needing something rated for 400'. But having at least 330' would be a definite plus for that 'just in case I wanna do it and take a camera with me dive.'

Good to know that's available. A 100' H2 rating would barely cut it on most dives, but the 180' GP housing would be adequate with a bit of safety factor. Not sure how many dives past 180' I'd really want to take a camera on and I'm still a few feet shy of needing something rated for 400'. But having at least 330' would be a definite plus for that 'just in case I wanna do it and take a camera with me dive.'

Personally I am quite a ways from 400' myself but maybe someday. But the whole thing that makes this camera so appealing is that it can be mounted to a helmet and you forget about it. I can't wait to use mine again.

Personally I am quite a ways from 400' myself but maybe someday. But the whole thing that makes this camera so appealing is that it can be mounted to a helmet and you forget about it. I can't wait to use mine again.

Cant you do the same with a GoPro? I was thinking of mounting it to a goodman handle for my primary.

Cant you do the same with a GoPro? I was thinking of mounting it to a goodman handle for my primary.

I think that would work fine, I made a custom handle with the tripod mount (see link) However the standard Go PRO housing with the dome lense port makes all underwater pictures blury.

These guys have a cheap fix and they also sell the camera and accessories. I've been using the standard go-pro convex housing and I am excited to install a flat lense.

MAKO Spearguns - Store

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom