GoPro Hero Eye of Mine vs. Go For Focus

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

YouTube - Contour Vs GoPro Underwater

for the comparison. this was before a flat lens that go pro is now offering.
to me its clear that the contour is a better performer underwater but we shall see.

We got our second shipmnt of flat lenses in this week. We've been selling more than we expected. At $16.95, we priced the MAKO lens as a "no -brainer" upgrade option.

MAKO Spearguns - Store

Also, if you buy a camera from us, the upgraded flat lense is FREE.

I am curious what the difference between the waterproof housing for $16.95 from MAKO and the waterproof housing from eyeofmine.com for $99. Is the MAKO a lens that you add on after purchasing the housing?

I am curious what the difference between the waterproof housing for $16.95 from MAKO and the waterproof housing from eyeofmine.com for $99. Is the MAKO a lens that you add on after purchasing the housing?

The mako lens price went up to like 22 or $24. You replace the stock lens with the flat lens.. it takes 5 minutes.

I bought a Sartek GoPro Hero housing in Aug of 2010. Works great, and pressure tested to 250fsw. It was Pricey at $99, but didn't look anywhere near as 'ghetto made' as the EofM housing. However, like all of these aftermarket flat port housings, it will vignette at 1280x720p (no problem at the usual 1080x1920 though.)

If you haven't bought a housing and can wait a month, I would hold out for the GoPro u/w housing. I saw it at DEMA and they have their's designed to not vignette w/o any resolution preset on the new Hero2. It look unlike any of the 3rd party solutions with a rectangular port. Supposedly it will cost about $50.

After seeing the image baseline sharpness comparison between the original Hero and Hero2 on a 54" screen, it was no contest. I had to have the Hero2. I picked up a Hero2 at the show as they were $100 off list there until all gone.

Thank you Brian. I had heard they were working on a case of their own but my last query resulted in no response. Glad to see somebody has actually seen one. I can certainly wait a month for it to come out.

That clenches it. I will buy myself a Christmas present and play with the camera and pick up the new u/w case when it becomes available.

I have been testing the HD2 with the Blurfix, it only vignettes in 960p and wide photo modes and this is only a few pixels in the corners. All other modes have no vignetting I just need a few more shots to finish of my little demo of it underwater with a clear filter and all possible UR pro filters.

From what Ive seen of the gopro housing I prefer the blurfix in design and function, It looks more like a camera can use 55mm filters and has virtually no vignetting. Not many people use 960p mode underwater from what Ive seen, shooting 11mpx images don't need much cropping to remove the small corner vignetting either. The big square front on the Gopro version in development just looks awkward and too big for not much benefit and loses the ability to screw in other filters.

Should have some underwater videos up early next week with the HD2 using a blurfix.

I have used and reviewed and own several different models of these type camcorders and while not a one stands out heads and tails above the others, the Go Pro with the back monitor is, IMHO, a clear winner when used with either the Sartek or Eye of Mine housing. The Contour works just fine but composition is completely hit and miss since there is no monitor. If a housing is rated to 200ft and the other to 400, who cares? Really, how many of you hit 200 feet in the first place?
Steve

Heres a video comparison of the Eye of Mine, Blurfix, and a simple flat lens. vs the normal housing at different resolutions. i think the Blurfix is better, the flat lens can be taken off and its not put together with a ton of what ever adhesive they use to make the Eye of Mine.

[video=youtube;WlCvDaDrUss]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlCvDaDrUss&feature=results_main&playnext= 1&list=PL7B98CE79D2EF6D98[/video]

Just to follow up on this. I had a friend pick up his first new Hero HD. (Now that the Hero2 is out, the older model is being cleared from stock at discounts of $100.) He asked me about u/w housings and I mentioned what I saw at DEMA and what the reps at the booth said about their OEM housing debut in Dec. He mailed their support link, and whoever is working that dept either doesn't know about it or is being told not say anything yet. Just so you all know, I saw and touched their real OEM u/w housing first hand at DEMA on Nov 2nd. They said they expected it to be out in Dec with a approx $55 price. Two people I talked to at the booth mentioned this, and anyone who was there saw it being worn on a chest mount by one of their employees. I don't have the biz cards of the guys I talked to, or I'd be getting in touch with them directly about the status of these. My gut feeling is the support people are clueless. If you saw how packed the GoPro booth was at DEMA, you'd think they would be busting azz to get their OEM housing out. The dive market is a huge opportunity for them and they are leaving money on the table by not having their own OEM u/w housing.
-Brian

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom