Upgrading from GoPro Hero black 6 to newer types

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sbiriguda

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have GoPro Hero black 6. Should I upgrade to newer models of the Go Pro? If so, which one? Is it worth it to buy a new Go Pro 9? Or perhaps second hand Go Pro 7 or 8? Which are the new features, are they really worth it? I have a Go Pro Supersuit and Backscatter flip mount. Are there any compatibility issues with the accessories if I upgrade? Thanks

Can’t say for the 9, but I believe the 7/8 will fit in the same supersuit with the same filters.

I went from a 4black to a 7black... image quality is much better (the 4’s were pretty decent with enough light).

I didn’t like loosing the narrow FOV (from before they released touchscreen models), which you would be used to not having with the 6.

Stabilization seems to be handy.... I I noticed less shakiness in my videos on my last excursion...

But I miss having the narrow FOV (one could either just shoot 4K and crop down to 1080, or load up the GP zoomed in before going into the housing and don’t turn it off or change modes.... )

_R

Thanks both
So let me put the question like this... I have the backscatter filter with a mount that was meant for the size of GoPro 4 (i think) i already use and adapter for GoPro 6. It would good for me to upgrade to Go Pro 7 or 8. While It would be more complicated to upgrade to Go Pro 9. Which are the main differences between Go Pro 8 and 9 ? Of they are relatively similar upgrading to Go Pro 8 is probably the best option

Well, I start answering to myself by myself...
--> Go Pro 9: it is bigger like divezonescuba pointed out; discarded, I need a camera compatible with my backscatter which is quite old and right now I prefer not to buy again
--> Go Pro 8: the lens is integrated in the camera; not sure about how it works I suspect the Supersuit doesn't fit; some people say they had compatibility issues with the Backscatter flip mount and had to get a specific one for the Go Pro 8; moreover, the Go Pro 7 and 8 were relatively similar as far as I understand

Man, I’m a slacker...I’m still figuring out my GoPro 5.

Honestly for the Go Pro newer is not always better for underwater videos. 4k is difficult to use because of battery consumption and because in underwater videos some factors like underwater lighting, diver's buoyancy and red filter color correction and editing impact on image quality so much that they can make 4k or image stabilization less important or virtually useless. Not to mention accessories incompatibility. Stick to GoPro 5 with no remorse if you are satisfied with it

Thanks all, based on what you said in my case upgrading doesn't match my needs

Back
Top Bottom