GoPro Hero 3+ Black - Protune - ISO & Exposure settings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

steffen_kl

Registered
Reaction score
Hey,
I bought a new GoPro Hero 3+ BE to take some underwater videos in Indonesia this year. I bought an SRP BlurFix adapter with the URPro CY Filter and a SRP Tray. I planned to take videos with the following settings and I am going to do post editing in Adobe After Effects.

2,7K/30 Wide
PROTUNE On
White Balance: Camera Raw
Color: Flat
Sharpness: Low
ISO Limit: ???
Exposure: ???

My question is now if there are any experiences about settings for ISO limit and Exposure for underwater filming. What are your recommendations for ISO and Exposure?

Do you think I will get some good footage with these settings?

Thank you very much for your help,
Steffen

More important than settings & gear:

If you have great expectations on producing good quality video (which I believe it's true given your purchases), take it diving a couple times and get familiar with the camera before your trip.

More important than settings & gear:

If you have great expectations on producing good quality video (which I believe it's true given your purchases), take it diving a couple times and get familiar with the camera before your trip.

Hey toozler, I think you are right that the handling is the more important part. But I'm not sure if I will have the opportunity to go diving before, but we will see :)

Does the Hero 3+ BE have an adjustable ISO, sharpness and exposure? That's news to me.

Yes, since the new firmware 2.0 there are many more options for Protune, but only for the GoPro 3+. It is possible to set the ISO Limit to 400, 1600 or 6400. The Exposure can bis adjusted between +2 and -2 fold. The Sharpness can be adjusted to low, medium or high.

PS: EL Pistoffo, you have some amazing diving videos on vimeo! What kind of equipment and settings have you used for your GoPro videos? Habe you used video lights?

Last edited:
Yes, since the new firmware 2.0 there are many more options for Protune, but only for the GoPro 3+. It is possible to set the ISO Limit to 400, 1600 or 6400. The Exposure can bis adjusted between +2 and -2 fold. The Sharpness can be adjusted to low, medium or high.

PS: EL Pistoffo, you have some amazing diving videos on vimeo! What kind of equipment and settings have you used for your GoPro videos? Habe you used video lights?
Thanks, I used a Hero 3 BE with SRP red filter and off-brand diopter (macro) lenses for the really close stuff. Also had an SRP tray, a pair of Archon D11V lights on locline arms.

The added functionality of that latest update to the Hero 3+ sounds pretty cool. I'm not sure what I would set it too. The GoPro has a small sensor so you might not want to limit the ISO too much unless the dive will be in very will light conditions. The lights work well when very close to you subject or in dark spots. Protune video is usually pretty bright but maybe with a lower ISO limit a +1 or 2 might work if ambient light is weak. I would image that when the GoPro gets to 1600 or higher, the image gets very grainy as can happen when it films in dark places.

I'm waiting to see what the GoPro offers on their next gen Hero 4. I may get one to have as a quick go-to camera if its worth it.

Hey El Pistoffo,
are you using your video lights all the time, or only when you are shooting macros?

I just got back from Puerto Vallarta with my 3+ on a UK GoPro Video bar with two lights. I use a low frame rate (24.97) at 1080P and all the other settings as you described. I'm happy with the quality of the video but I did experience some problems you might be interested in. When the lights were working the video close in (<6 feet or so) was fantastic which is what I expected. Unfortunately one of them leaked and failed on the first dive.

The GoPro is so small that it is easy to move WAY too fast and at low frame rates (needed for low light) the video gets shaky. Nice, slow, patient shots will work best IMO.

I will reiterate getting to know the camera as much as possible before you go. I have quite a few video segments where I thought the camera was off... ugh. You don't have to be diving to get familiar with it though - set it up just like you will underwater and chase your cat around the house or whatever.

Best of luck!
SKuba Steve

Back
Top Bottom