GoPro Hero 2 flat lens problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I hadnt heard of that but it does make sense as the lens extends out further, go for one of the other fixes like the blurfix which has no issues as it uses the original housing lens with the adapter above that and it also gives vignette free video in wide modes. Any of the larger fixes should be fine including the one gopro is making.

It is not a problem for the MAKO Flat Lens. Note our lens is FREE (with purchase of a Go-Pro).

GoPro HD HERO2 Surf Edition

MGPHL-2T.jpg

Is it true what they write about the flat lens for GoPro Hero 2 HD camera?
look at
http://www.ulcs.com/ under
GoPro Accessories.
Yes it is true, if you use the stock lens with a hero 2 its all out of focus as soon as you go under.
Install the flat ultralight control system go pro lens and get a focus fix.
I shot with it last weekend see the video here...poor viz and no light shot at 720p 60 frames per second
here ya go for a video sample
Sidemount Diverite Steel Tanks Large - YouTube

Good to hear about the mako, here is a link to the official site hero2 regarding the issue for anyone that may have that goforfocus lens.

Mako is confirmed not to have the issue but with the other drop in lenses check with the manufacturer as it could be very bad if theres not enough clearance between the camera lens and flat port in a hd2 gopro underwater.

"If this is true it will most likely be an issue with all.the drop in lenses like mako, occulus gofofocus etc."

I hope to hear about this issue from these companies in this forum .

Thanks for bringing this issue up. I'm about to get a Hero2 and use it in the housing that I outfitted with a Goforfocus lens (in 2010) and didn't know this issue existed. I'd like some clarificatory statements from Aquapix if possible on what was published on their site:

Screenshot2012-02-25at84738AM.jpg

(bolding mine)

Questions:
1. Is the lens that cracks the camera lens or the flat lens?
2. Is this problem both present in the Makrolon and glass lenses, or is it just the glass lenses?
3. Aside from the propounded solution (distance ring), if I placed one of the anti-fog inserts in front, would it provide enough clearance (put another way, what is the thickness of the spacer needed to prevent cracking).

Roseng, once again, thank you for making me aware of this issue. I wonder if a mod can change the title of this thread to reflect the problem at hand - which is the lens cracking if some flat lenses are used with the Hero 2. Some people might think it refers to the blurring and assume that its a done issue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom