GoPro HD Hero 960? Costco for $179

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

formula1mb@aol.com

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
While at Costco today, I saw they are now carrying the gopro 960 hero and wanted to find out if anyone has any experience and their thoughts/opinions? Is it worth spending the extra for the 1080 model? This was going for only $179 so not a bad deal.

Also, is the housing the same as the other models? I'm wondering if I get the Eye of Mine modified housing, will it work with the 960 model?

Thanks for any information

Robert

That's a decent deal, but you really need the Eye of Mine housing. I actually use the headband strap to get my POV. Very cool and inexpensive HD video.

I bought the 960 from COSTCO. Same exact case for the camera as the 1080. The first thing the lady asked me at the register was "Are you a Diver?". They are picking up popularity. The 960 puts out pretty good video. Shark DZ is right, you do need a fix for the lens. Without it just looks like standard def. Nothing is really crisp. There is an optional wrist mount you can buy or I was thinking about mounting it to my Light.

If you buy it from Amazon you can avoid our So Cal 9.75% sales tax (San Diego) and get it shipped for free.

Also, you can get the HD Hero Surf version for $205.00 from a seller called e^basement. I've never used them so I can't provide feedback, but they seem well rated. This HD Surf version would be full 1080p and it has a BUS port for expansion.

Here's the verbiage on the BUS port off GoPro's website:

Optional Expansion BacPacs™

An innovative expansion port on the back of the camera, the HERO Bus™ accepts optional Expansion BacPacs to expand the functionality of HD HERO cameras:

* LCD BacPac for on-camera preview and playback (not yet available for pre-order)
* Endurance Battery BacPac for double battery life (not yet available for pre-order)
* More BacPacs and expansion devices coming soon

I opted for the Hero 960 model because its cheaper and the Surf version doesn't come w. a headstrap mount and I don't think I need those expansion features.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom