GoPro HD Hero 3 black with Subsee +10 diopter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OcciferNick

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Just thought I would share my experiences so far using the gopro with a diopter for macro shooting. I tried Subsee's +10 diopter on the gopro today at Bare Island in very low vis and lots of surge. Used a Princeton Tech LED torch as I didn't have a video light. The diopter definitely let's you focus closer but you really need a tripod. The strong surge made it impossible to get good footage especially hand holding the rig. The diopter is very heavy and would benefit from mounting the whole thing on a tray. For decent macro footage you just have to use a tripod. I'm going to buy one of those little gorilla tripods and take that down with me next time. I'll also borrow a mates solar 1200 video light as the beam width from the torch is just too narrow. Another thing I noticed is that the video screen bacpac for the gopro is too small underwater to use to work out the max focus distance. I'll have to work this out in good conditions with a ruler to get the maximum working distance.

I use the SRP filter system and bought a 55mm - 67mm step up screw in ring for $2 off eBay so I can screw the diopter just straight onto the SRP.

Anyone else have any experience with using the diopters?

[video=vimeo;75565506]http://vimeo.com/75565506[/video]

Can you give us a rough idea how close you were to your subjects? And where was this taken?

I haven't ventured into underwater videography yet but hero black was a set up I was eyeballing. The footage looks great, especially if conditions were subpar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Hello everyone,

Just thought I would share my experiences so far using the gopro with a diopter for macro shooting. I tried Subsee's +10 diopter on the gopro today at Bare Island in very low vis and lots of surge. Used a Princeton Tech LED torch as I didn't have a video light. The diopter definitely let's you focus closer but you really need a tripod. The strong surge made it impossible to get good footage especially hand holding the rig. The diopter is very heavy and would benefit from mounting the whole thing on a tray. For decent macro footage you just have to use a tripod. I'm going to buy one of those little gorilla tripods and take that down with me next time. I'll also borrow a mates solar 1200 video light as the beam width from the torch is just too narrow. Another thing I noticed is that the video screen bacpac for the gopro is too small underwater to use to work out the max focus distance. I'll have to work this out in good conditions with a ruler to get the maximum working distance.

I use the SRP filter system and bought a 55mm - 67mm step up screw in ring for $2 off eBay so I can screw the diopter just straight onto the SRP.

Anyone else have any experience with using the diopters?

[video=vimeo;75565506]http://vimeo.com/75565506[/video]

this might interest u then
GoPro User Forum ? View topic - Macro Video HD3B & BlurFix3 + Inon + Subsee Lens

Thanks hellhole I've seen that before. Great video in the pool but in rough conditions it can be a real battle haha

Mike I was as close as 4-5cm away but the very first part of the video I was too close as it was blurry. I am guessing if I add the 167 it would let me get even closer and still stay in focus. This was taken at Bare Island, Laperouse which is in Sydney Australia. I will be taking down a ruler on a better day so I can accurately measure the minimum focus distance in real life circumstances. Once I've established that I will probably cut a length of stainless bar or rod so I have a ready measuring stick or event bolt it onto the tray to have that distance set for every dive.

Your able to get within 2 inches (5cm) of the subject and stay in focus? That's with a single +10? I can only get to within 5-6 inches with two +10's stacked. I guess that why the Subsee costs an arm and a leg.

The Subsee +10 is some quality glass, it's very heavy and is about 5-6cm long. Again the working distance was an estimate so I am planing on taking a ruler down to accurately measure it. From memory the gopro was set to narrow.

Use a red filter(on the outside and a macro lense like Marumi 55mm sandwiched together); use duct tape to hold them together and work the bubbles out from the middle once submerged-not very efficient but does the job). I tried that out this past dive with decent results. I agree on the tripod (it would definitely help with close up shots).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhT4MI95Fvo

Use a red filter(on the outside and a macro lense like Marumi 55mm sandwiched together); use duct tape to hold them together and work the bubbles out from the middle once submerged-not very efficient but does the job). I tried that out this past dive with decent results. I agree on the tripod (it would definitely help with close up shots).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhT4MI95Fvo

Looks good. Just how close are you able to get to the subject with the Marumi? I have the cheaper +10 lenses that can get me to within 7" or so and have been wondering if the higher cost of the Marumi is worth it.

Maybe 3-4 inches (SRP site says 2-4). I kept it on on wide angle mode too 1080 -60 frames but I think I see some vignetting (overall not bad though, given gopros have limited close up/macro capability). I wish it was threaded though so you could experiment by adding more filters). I like this glass macro filter better than the acrylic ones.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom