GoPro HD Hero 3 black with Subsee +10 diopter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I tried Cam Raw and even though there was barely any color when viewed on the LCD screen, after vid clips were opened with GP Studio, it was easier to adjust. So, I will aim for that in the future. See results below (toadfish was shot in raw mode); the slightly green hues are because at times I was shooting with a magenta filter + auto white balance (I think using the red filter is better despite the low vis/green water at this site).

Will also try filming a white piece (dive slate/towel etc..) before I go out next time. I used to do that with my dslr (stills) but completely forgot (been a while). Thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2QuMrJ8VZs

Filming something white at a shallow depth and then using that to WB correct at greater depth may not give good results. The color spectrum changes as you go deeper. It would be wise to film something white more often during the dive, primarily when depth or lighting conditions change considerably. I tend to WB on the sandy bottom or something around that is close to white that's is near as possible to my subject. If your in a different situation then you may have to improvise.

I even tried using a WB card and place it in front of camera but at depth but that is inadequate because the distance between the camera and the WB card ( a few inches) is not the same as the distance of the subject being 4 ft or 20 ft away which is greatly affected by the amount water in between which in turn affects the light reaching the camera. In shallow depths (20ft or less) that method has worked for me though.

Not bad for an idea to film the sandy bottom, even though at the site I usually film lately, the sand is mostly crashed shell covered with purple coralline algae. I'll try it out though. Been thinking to come down and dive by the pier in Lauderdale (haven't done that in a while). How's the vis lately? Either that or do some boat diving..

Also, I am thinking of buying a +20 macro filter. Would stacking two +10 macro diopters yield the same results as a +20 (in terms of clarity)? Not many reputable +20 macro filters out there.

Not bad for an idea to film the sandy bottom, even though at the site I usually film lately, the sand is mostly crashed shell covered with purple coralline algae. I'll try it out though. Been thinking to come down and dive by the pier in Lauderdale (haven't done that in a while). How's the vis lately? Either that or do some boat diving..

Also, I am thinking of buying a +20 macro filter. Would stacking two +10 macro diopters yield the same results as a +20 (in terms of clarity)? Not many reputable +20 macro filters out there.
Although I havent been out on the water around here lately, I've heard of some good viz reports from a couple of dive shops.

As far as the +20 lens, I just got one but had to return it due to shipping damage, so I have to wait a little bit. I'm even going to stack a +10 on the +20 for a few closer shots.

Although I havent been out on the water around here lately, I've heard of some good viz reports from a couple of dive shops.

As far as the +20 lens, I just got one but had to return it due to shipping damage, so I have to wait a little bit. I'm even going to stack a +10 on the +20 for a few closer shots.

Which one did u get? Would be nice if you could stack a couple Marumi's together but they are not double threaded. That's a nice macro lens.

I could not find a double threaded +20 but I found a +10 with plenty of threading on the top (Macro 10 Close Up Lens Filter 58mm New N Box | eBay) to allow for the +20 (58mm Macro 20 Closeup Lens Filter Attachement No 20 HQ | eBay) to be stacked on it.

If possible, i'll try to remove the +20 lens from that ring and install it into a normal threaded ring. Not sure it can be done until I get it back. Maybe even swapping the rings of these two.

BTW I use 58mm since they are more common and just use a 55-58mm adapter to attach to camera mount.

I saw the IT +20 before, but have never heard of the brand. Let me know how it works out. I was looking at a Hoya 55mm +10(double-threaded, but that would only give me +20 magnification stacked together with the Marumi). Not sure if the quality of the glass makes a difference? Plus it's a little pricey. Still looking..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom