GoPro footage synced with Shearwater dive info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How is this synchronization done? I have a GoPro and I have a Shearwater. I take it some special software is needed?

How is this synchronization done? I have a GoPro and I have a Shearwater. I take it some special software is needed?

I followed a very simple method - but manual as you might suspect:
- Since GoPro's battery will most probably last longer than the actual dive, I hit rec at the beginning of the dive and let it record everything
- At some point in the dive I focus/shoot the actual shearwater screen to use that point in time as a reference point
- Afterwards I export the dive profile to a CSV file via Shearwater's software
- I open the CSV file in Excel, edit the fields/columns to leave only the information that I find relevant, and then select all the columns and copy them in memory
- I past them in Word, and then I manually search & replace certain tags so that I can conform the file to the SRT format (it is very simple SubRip - Wikipedia), and save it as a simple text file.
- That file can be used as a subtitle file in VLC, or you can "burn" it on video with Final Cut, or you can also upload it on youtube to overlay it

I am planning to write a small software that will automate the above tasks...

If you use Mac-Dive logbook software, this is all done automatically. Download your DC to the software, import the photos from any camera, and as long as DC and camera are time-synched then all the photos will be overlaid on the dive profile.

If you use Mac-Dive logbook software, this is all done automatically. Download your DC to the software, import the photos from any camera, and as long as DC and camera are time-synched then all the photos will be overlaid on the dive profile.

Thank you - I was not aware MacDive could overlay info on images.

What I was looking for though is what the next post describes - Dashware which seems very interesting.

Back
Top Bottom