GoPro Death Mount

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So, just as luck would have it, the day after I upload photos of my temporary set-up, the mount I bought for this purpose came in the mail! This is GoPro's handlebar and seatpost mount for mountain biking. I think it will work just fine for this use.

I may try it with two of the very short 90-degree linkages between the mount and the camera to raise the camera up and still have it pointing the same way, but for now I like this set-up because it shows the whole forward part of the gun. One advantage of raising the camera up though will be that the gun won't block the view of the target. I'll see if I can get a couple vids of each over the weekend.

I present you Death Mount MkII:

DeathMountMkII1.jpg

DeathMountMkII2.jpg

DeathMountMkII3.jpg

DeathMountMkII4.jpg

Tin Man on SpearBoard manufacturers great camera mounts for spearguns and all you need to mount the GoPro is the tripod mount that you purchase from GoPro for about $7.99 I have one on my 48" Biller and it works great. Won't let me post a link yet so go to spearboard.com and do a search for camera mounts.

That's a sweet set up, post a vid or picture of the new camera angle

Well, I have recently switched to a bigger gun and a slightly different mount, but the angle on this mount shown above compared to the original was basically identical. I have a couple up on YouTube and one of a triggerfish shot with the new larger gun.

SaxPlayer - I eat most of the ones I shoot don here. I promised to get the wife out for a hunt sometime after I get home to Norfolk so it looks like we'll be heading to NC to get some this summer.

DD - Well, this is a pretty low-powered gun, max effective range is about 8' so i just point and click especially being able to get close to lionfish.

That newer mount looks good. There is a gun like that explorer 20 at the dive shop over here. Hearing that it only shoots about 8 feet and uses the arrow style tip makes me more interested in buying it. My little pole spear works but some fish are just to big for it. I grew up hunting in a "one shot one drop" family so I always feel kinda bad when I only wound an animal and it gets away.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom