GoPro 7 with tray and lights with or without filters?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KenLovely

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Getting ready for Cozumel in 3 weeks and organizing some new gear.
Need some advice on proper set up. Using the Hero 7 and a tray with the Sola 1200 and a GoBe 1000 wide also the Filp 5 filters.

Day Dives.
1. If i'm using the flip 5 filters, should I also use the lights on flood?
2. Should I change the aspect ration from 4:3 to 16:9 ?
3. Recommended settings by Go pro, is to set the video at 1440 60fps Any feedback on this?

Night Dives.
1. Sola Nightsea with fluoromask cover and a Flip yellow filter. Any things else required?
Anyone have experience with the Sola Nightsea with any pointers on diving with blue light?

If you're using lights, get rid of the filters. They only subtract light. They can work on really shallow dives where there is still some longer wavelength light available, but when you start gaining any real depth, they become pretty worthless. There is no substitute for using lights and you've already got those.

For your resolution, it depends on what you want to do with the video. If you shoot at the highest resolution, you can always down res, but keep in mind that you'll start filling up your card pretty quick. You'll also need additional computing horsepower to handle the bulk of information in high res videos. If you plan to watch it on a 4k TV, or otherwise have a need for really high res, then you'll want to shoot at 2.7k or 4k. If you only plan to watch them periodically on your computer and/or share on social media and such, there is no reason to shoot higher than 1440 as you won't see the added resolution.

Filters: I really like the flip filters because they make the answer to this question easy. Never use the filter and the light at the same time. But do set up with both ready to go. You never know when you might want to light up a dark hole, in that case flip the filter away and turn on the light. I have the backscater flip filters on mine.

But never use them with the light. It makes everything red. Also, if someone else has a light on close to you and your GP can see it, it will also make light beam red.

Dive filters are red because that’s what wavelength you loose first under water. Your light brings that red wavelength back and the filter will make your light sorce red.

But it is true that filters are pretty much useless at greater then 60ish feet.

I like to shoot in wide 16:9

I shot in 4K at 60fps as that is the fastest 4K you can shoot and keep the hyper smooth stabilization on (which is the big selling point on the 7). But it is true that you will need a pretty beefy computer to handle that in post. I think the GP7 is only optimized for up to a 256GB card (that’s what’s in mine). You can get a whole days worth of vids on that card, you just need to download and clear the card everyday.
If you don’t have it already make sure you get a big external HD to hold all your stuff.

I would advise getting the clamp grip as well if you don’t have it. You can get some good B reel on the boat by clamping up to the overhead somewhere. Also the 7 has the time warp that can make for some cool clips of everyone gearing up or of your journey through the airport, to the hotel, to the boat...stuff like that

Thanks for the response! So helpful! First time I used a GP in Cozumel I didn't have lights or filters! learning experience for sure. Then last year, we had few opportunities to dive because of the winds. This year I hope to be better prepared! Yeah I've tested out the 4k video and my SurfacePro can't display it so I might keep it lower.

Don’t keep it running constantly in 4K though. A) your housing will likely steam up as it can run hot after a while, even with the inserts. B) you will runhe battery down in under 40. Mins.

Ref the sola night Sea. It’s fun, but don’t expect too much and don’t expect to pick up good or evenly decent footage on your GoPro without lots of serious editing. You will quickly think ‘damn...I need 2 of these’ :) The good thing is that it does have a wide range and is a lot of fun, especially as octopuses seem to be chill under it. But I would bring all of your lights on that nightdive. I tend to run the night Sea above my GoPro on a longer loc-line and keep my other 2 lights on the tray so that I can switch backwards and forwards. Also get some electrical tape and tape the yellow visor to your mask strap so that you can just flip or off without worrying about losing it.

Also get the big macro lens and a gorilla stand , that’s fun with the lights :wink: remember to position the lights properly so that they don’t hotspot your subject. You can’t point them directly at subject and film. Same with the night Sea. PM me if you need any more info. Happy to help :) I’ve done 2 years of research on it and trial and error :)

Oh, and try to point away, swim a little away from the others when you are on the nightsea. Ambient flashlights will have a big impact. I usually try to face the opposite direction to any other divers and stay away from them.

[/QUOTE]For your resolution, it depends on what you want to do with the video. If you shoot at the highest resolution, you can always down res, but keep in mind that you'll start filling up your card pretty quick. You'll also need additional computing horsepower to handle the bulk of information in high res videos. If you plan to watch it on a 4k TV, or otherwise have a need for really high res, then you'll want to shoot at 2.7k or 4k. If you only plan to watch them periodically on your computer and/or share on social media and such, there is no reason to shoot higher than 1440 as you won't see the added resolution.[/QUOTE]

Whilst I agree with the above statement, for the most part, you can cut much better stills from 4K footage and they are easier to edit. They evidently aren’t going to be Z7 level, but still you can end up with some pretty great stuff.

If you're using lights, get rid of the filters. They only subtract light. They can work on really shallow dives where there is still some longer wavelength light available, but when you start gaining any real depth, they become pretty worthless. There is no substitute for using lights and you've already got those.

For your resolution, it depends on what you want to do with the video. If you shoot at the highest resolution, you can always down res, but keep in mind that you'll start filling up your card pretty quick. You'll also need additional computing horsepower to handle the bulk of information in high res videos. If you plan to watch it on a 4k TV, or otherwise have a need for really high res, then you'll want to shoot at 2.7k or 4k. If you only plan to watch them periodically on your computer and/or share on social media and such, there is no reason to shoot higher than 1440 as you won't see the added resolution.

Whilst I agree with the resolution statement above, for the most part, you can pull much better stills from 4K footage. Not Z7 level, but decent. I actually carry a hero 6 on the top of my nauticam housing for my Nikon Z7 and have occasionally been able to pull a better stills from the GoPro than the Z7 when focus/stability etc has been a bit of an issue.

Back
Top Bottom