Gooseberry Arches Newport, RI Back to Diving Report NE

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tampico_ED

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,

After almost two years of no diving. We finally boarded the SharkBait and performed an easy dive on Newport, RI. The conditions could not be better to search for the allusive Gooseberry Arches, after 30mins of diving around the adjacent islands finally found. El Capitano Earl and Chris departed their own way and I lost track of their whereabouts for the entire dive.

The sea life was fantastic...I can tell of years before - there is an improvement. Towards the end of the dive the seas picked up a little bit and stirred all the nice visibility, but never-the-less the views were awesome (around 20feet vis). I highly recommend this site for an easy fun dive...with plenty of rocks and depths ranging from 20-40ft (and of couse 4ft if you endup standing on the rock trying to find your way).

Here is the evidence of the great day (6/10/12). Thanks to my good dive buddies hopefully they will not be camera shy on the next dives.

http://amazing-ocean.com/videos/Mast...y%20Arches.mp4

Last edited:
One of my favorite dive sites. With fair weather conditions it never fails to awe me. As you posted the sea life is fantastic! The arches are easy for me to find, I've probably "found" them 200 times in my life! There are actually 2 arches, a smaller one is southeast of the arches in about 50fsw.
Best, least dived site in New England!

Is the vis usually that good? Only got to see a little of video.....it froze on me

Is the vis usually that good? Only got to see a little of video.....it froze on me

On a good day yes. Last time I dove it I guessed it was in excess of 25'! Even at 50fsw it isn't very dark. It is a special place IMHO.

Edit: I got to watch the vid, it ws alittle choppy as it keep buffering but it looks like you hit it just right! BIG school of togs! Is there any way I could download that vid?

Last edited:
On a good day yes. Last time I dove it I guessed it was in excess of 25'! Even at 50fsw it isn't very dark. It is a special place IMHO.

Edit: I got to watch the vid, it ws alittle choppy as it keep buffering but it looks like you hit it just right! BIG school of togs! Is there any way I could download that vid?

Thanks all for your positive feedback. The site "usually" has good vis...but I will not count with it. Well I'm still searching the second arch...good reason to go back with the camera...not the best navigator ever !

you can access some of my old videos and the new one by copy/past (ing) this link.

Index of /videos

Wow awesome video loads of fish definitely a cool looking dive spot. A dive and dine site.

Thanks all for your positive feedback. The site "usually" has good vis...but I will not count with it. Well I'm still searching the second arch...good reason to go back with the camera...not the best navigator ever !

you can access some of my old videos and the new one by copy/past (ing) this link.

Index of /videos

Thanks alot! I just want it for myself and show to a few people that want to take there. If you like to night dive GI will blow your mind after dark!
I dived in Aruba at night. GI on a good night is on par with Aruba at night IMHO.

I down loaded the vid it plays great on my pc thanks again. Porgy download it, watch it, contact me we'll dive it!

Tampico_ED I was looking at your vid list we've dived a lot of the same places, The daga, ect.. NC, Pappose, ect..
Ever dive Castle Hill Newport? Nice drift dive.

Thanks alot! I just want it for myself and show to a few people that want to take there. If you like to night dive GI will blow your mind after dark!
I dived in Aruba at night. GI on a good night is on par with Aruba at night IMHO.

I down loaded the vid it plays great on my pc thanks again. Porgy download it, watch it, contact me we'll dive it!

Tampico_ED I was looking at your vid list we've dived a lot of the same places, The daga, ect.. NC, Pappose, ect..
Ever dive Castle Hill Newport? Nice drift dive.

Gotta get down that way .."wit da boat"....Now busy with "another" Grand child.....My 4 year olds birthday is this weekend....opened a present tonight,,,,A Henderson wet suit.....Am I pushing it?

Back
Top Bottom