Googletooth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

michaelb51

Reaction score
For those who Google Earth...

If this attachment thing works (if not, hold on and I will link); here is a zipped .KMZ file of my July 2006 dives, from my GPS track logs. For those hitting the beach for the first time, you might be interested in these tracks. I've added markers for the Alhambra pipes, and the 15 and 20 ft lines to help orient things.

In Google Earth you can turn each dive on or off. The places where the tracks are dense would be fossil beds. Too bad Google Earth's image for Venice beach is low res.

These dives favor the area south of the pipes...cause I'm lazy :11doh:and that's where I live. I find both areas to be very similar so don't let the concentration of tracks in front of my neighborhood fool you.

GoogleTooth.jpg

The attachments work, but what opens a .kmz file?

It seems that you stay a bit south of where I usually go. I generally have much better luck north of there, but usually I'm out to the reef before long if I do head south.

ReefGuy:

It seems that you stay a bit south of where I usually go. I generally have much better luck north of there, but usually I'm out to the reef before long if I do head south.

The Google Earth program is free, and you can follow the link in the message to download it.

So far I tend to visualize the beds as spotty, like fat dotted lines running parallel to the shore line. I think between the pipes and our beach is a bit of a bald spot, as is the area south of our beach. I haven't been south of that, yet.

I'd expect the reef to run into you if you head due south from the pipes, since the shoreline seems to actually run about 10-15 degrees east of south, or so. I haven't been as far out from the pipes so I don't know if that's true or not.

This is my first year of diving here regularly. I'm hoping to piece together a rough mental map of the areas within dive range. Perhaps that would be a worthwhile group project... :eyebrow:

ReefGuy:

He's not far to the south... judging I'd say just to the edge of the condos

You can see the depth and the reef are slightly closer to shore than north of the pipes.

The black patch north of pipes to the flat sand is what I used for distancing. Then, the sand patch west to the patch to the reef.

I've been in the area south and found some, but not as many as I find to the north of the pipes

michaelb51:
So far I tend to visualize the beds as spotty, like fat dotted lines running parallel to the shore line. I think between the pipes and our beach is a bit of a bald spot, as is the area south of our beach. I haven't been south of that, yet.

I'd expect the reef to run into you if you head due south from the pipes, since the shoreline seems to actually run about 10-15 degrees east of south, or so. I haven't been as far out from the pipes so I don't know if that's true or not.

I think that's an accurate picture. When I head south, I usually head directly SW from the pipes, until around 18'-20', and usually don't find much of the smaller stuff on the way out. Further to the south of where you are you start getting into the service park area. I haven't dove that area much, but 2th divr has quite a bit of success there. I think he mostly scooters pretty far out, though

michaelb51:
This is my first year of diving here regularly. I'm hoping to piece together a rough mental map of the areas within dive range. Perhaps that would be a worthwhile group project... :eyebrow:

I'm with you there. I was thinking of mapping this are for my dive master. I've done quite a bit of diving from Alhambra down to just north of Casperson (directly W of the airport runway, south of the dog park). Maybe U, cbulla, Walter, 2th divr, myself and some others should get together for a dive, then a few beers over a map...

That's a great idea. As far as the beers, maybe I could be the designated thinker. :wink:

My favorite hangout is breakfast at the Cockpit Cafe (400 Airport Road.) If you haven't had breakfast there you are in for a Venice secret treat. Or maybe I'll throw a burger bash here, if your idea catches on...

I totally know the two area's direct and north of the pipes. Jeff, thats where I was picking up the bones and showing you we were in a fossil bed!

Michael - Totally on the mark in coolness for sharing this!!!

Tomorrow (the 12th) my guess on dive optimum time would be "later in the morning but not too late." I'll be at the Cockpit Cafe around 8 - 9 am. That way even if I scratch diving, I'll be in a good mood.

I've driven by that on numerous occasions and never noticed it. If I'm there early enough, I'll stop by. I think Colin and I are going to be there meeting up with a guy from work and his wife.

michaelb51:
For those who Google Earth...

If this attachment thing works (if not, hold on and I will link); here is a zipped .KMZ file of my July 2006 dives, from my GPS track logs. For those hitting the beach for the first time, you might be interested in these tracks. I've added markers for the Alhambra pipes, and the 15 and 20 ft lines to help orient things.

In Google Earth you can turn each dive on or off. The places where the tracks are dense would be fossil beds. Too bad Google Earth's image for Venice beach is low res.

These dives favor the area south of the pipes...cause I'm lazy :11doh:and that's where I live. I find both areas to be very similar so don't let the concentration of tracks in front of my neighborhood fool you.

GoogleTooth.jpg

Your gps works under water? I didn't know they did that. Is it a regular gps unit, water proof to xx feet or do you have a special unit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom