Google site rating system????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

miketsp

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just came across this page on Google

Google Directory - Home*>*Consumer*Information*>*Sports*and*Recreation*>*Water*Sports*>*Scuba*Diving

which rates Scuba Forum above ScubaBoard.
I looked at the Scuba Forum site and it seems to be a fraction the size of ScubaBoard with just a few posts per day.

Without wanting to get into a discussion about which site is better, can someone explain to me why what appears to be a small site with few posts gets rated higher on Google than a major site with thousands of members and millions of posts?

Or is this a purely commercial rating, you get what you pay for?

I just came across this page on Google

Google Directory - Home*>*Consumer*Information*>*Sports*and*Recreation*>*Water*Sports*>*Scuba*Diving

which rates Scuba Forum above ScubaBoard.
I looked at the Scuba Forum site and it seems to be a fraction the size of ScubaBoard with just a few posts per day.

Without wanting to get into a discussion about which site is better, can someone explain to me why what appears to be a small site with few posts gets rated higher on Google than a major site with thousands of members and millions of posts?

Or is this a purely commercial rating, you get what you pay for?

They do it by creating a huge number of inbound links from other sites.

I reported it to Google at:

Google Report a Spam Result

If people start complaining, they'll probably do something about it.

Terry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom