Google Earth Users, Is this the Hilma Hooker?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rottielover

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi all,

I've been playing around with google earth, and I think you can see the outline of the Hilma Hooker wreck from the sat. pictures.

Check out these coords (copy past them into the search box in Google Earth).

12 06' 15.23"N, 68 17' 20.12"W

See the outline? Is that the hooker?

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<kml xmlns="http://earth.google.com/kml/2.0">
<Placemark>
<name>12 06&apos; 15.23&quot;N, 68 17&apos; 20.12&quot;W</name>
<LookAt>
<longitude>-68.28879428478587</longitude>
<latitude>12.1043456831143</latitude>
<range>114.8059814586155</range>
<tilt>5.593777633377344e-011</tilt>
<heading>2.753242088453182e-005</heading>
</LookAt>
<styleUrl>root://styleMaps#default+nicon=0x304+hicon=0x314</styleUrl>
<Point>
<coordinates>-68.28892222222223,12.10423055555556,0</coordinates>
</Point>
</Placemark>
</kml>

Test Snapshot from GoogleEarth

My sources say the Hooker is 71.8 meters or 235 feet long. According to the approximate scale on the google pic, that looks correct. Judging from my memory of local landmarks, the salt pits, and beach shape, yes, that looks correct.

But the boat is laying on its' starboard side and that pic looks like it's sitting upright?!? Very odd. Yet, I'm reasonably sure, but not having taken my own coordinates, that is indeed the Hilma Hooker. Cool!

I also measured this "shadow" object in the water at ~235 feet long, and ~60 to 70 feet wide, possibly as wide as 80 feet depending on what you determine to be the widest point.

It does look upright, but I can also envision her on the side from this view. I suppose I'll find out soon enough first hand.

I'll have to remember to make sketches and take extra pictures, and see if I can match this up or not...

I can't see the outline of the wreck - What I can see is dive trucks parked on the shoreline across from the transmitter site. The Hooker would be slightly north of these vehicles with her keel lying against the ledge.

When technology gets to where we can see the Sergeant Major eggs on the hull we will know for sure.

You can see the outer reef system that reaches from the lake - accurate marked location because of the yellow building stretching all the way past Alice in Wonderland.

The Hooker would lie in that trough on its port side facing south. The coloring of the wreck would most likely make it not discernable from aerial view.

Looking at these pictures will probably make me not want go get out of bed in the morning because of advanced PBD - I just want you to know that.

goggle earth has an option for showing shipwrecks.

The hilma hooker is listed at:

12º 6' 11.65" N, 68º 17' 17.23" W

However, I cannot make out a ship in either location. The op coord's do not look like the correct orientation and look to be more in the sand less than 20 ft deep. The hookr is more in the 80 ft depth parallelling the drop off.

AXL72 - Your coords are about 157 yards south of where mine are. As stated by Tom the wreck should be north of the dive trucks that are visable.

If you zoom your view to "Eye Alt: ~1400ft" you can more easily make out the outline of what really looks like a wreck to me.

It's oriented Stern in the north and bow in the south, with what looks like the bow touching or barely touching what appears to be the drop-off into the blue water.

What's getting me is the "straight lines" of this object, if you look around the island of bonaire in the reef area's you can make out lighter area's (sand?) and darker area's (formations). The darker area's are usually "naturally" shaped, blobs etc. Where-as this object appears to have straight lines...

EDIT: I also used the measure tool, and it looks to be approx 100 yard from shore as well

I see what you're talking about now and that is just a patch of coral on the sand flats. The hooker is in the deep water channel between the obvious shallow reef and the faint outer reef on the picture.

oh well, still looks cool though :wink:

rottielover:
12 06' 15.23"N, 68 17' 20.12"W

See the outline? Is that the hooker?

Google Earth crashes on my ancient computer. If I put those coordinates
into maps.google.com, I see a location before the reef rolloff. i.e., in the
sand/not much coral flats, under 30' deep. I do see a sorta shape, but
it is not the Hooker, just coral in the flats. AXL72's location looks correct.
You can see the sand between the double reefs, which is where the Hooker lies.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom